Australia’s integration into the ASEAN- 5 Region
This paper attempts to evaluate the time-varying integration of Australian stock market in ASEAN-5 region (ASEAN + Australia, Korea, China, India and Japan) by using a conditional version of the international capital asset pricing model (ICAPM) allowing for dynamic changes in the degree of market integration, regional market risk price, currency risk price and domestic market risk price. Main findings are as follows: i) the prices of risk in Australia are extremely sensitive to major international economic and political events such as the different monetary and financial crises in international financial market; ii) the level of market openness and development of the stock market satisfactorily explain the time-varying degree of Australian stock integration.
|Date of creation:||10 Apr 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 1 53 63 36 00
Web page: http://www.ipag.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hardouvelis, Gikas A & Malliaropoulos, Dimitrios & Priestley, Richard, 1999.
"EMU and European Stock Market Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2124, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Black, Fischer, 1974. "International capital market equilibrium with investment barriers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 337-352, December.
- Errunza, Vihang & Losq, Etienne & Padmanabhan, Prasad, 1992. "Tests of integration, mild segmentation and segmentation hypotheses," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 949-972, September.
- Arouri, Mohamed El Hedi & Nguyen, Duc Khuong & Pukthuanthong, Kuntara, 2012. "An international CAPM for partially integrated markets: Theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 2473-2493.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R, 1995.
" Time-Varying World Market Integration,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 403-44, June.
- Petri, Peter A., 2006.
"Is East Asia becoming more interdependent?,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 381-394, June.
- Tai, Chu-Sheng, 2007. "Market integration and contagion: Evidence from Asian emerging stock and foreign exchange markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 264-283, December.
- Choudhry, Taufiq & Lu, Lin & Peng, Ke, 2007. "Common stochastic trends among Far East stock prices: Effects of the Asian financial crisis," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 242-261.
- Carrieri, Francesca & Errunza, Vihang & Hogan, Ked, 2007. "Characterizing World Market Integration through Time," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(04), pages 915-940, December.
- Utpal Bhattacharya & Hazem Daouk, 2002. "The World Price of Insider Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 75-108, 02.
- Guesmi, Khaled & Nguyen, Duc Khuong, 2011.
"How strong is the global integration of emerging market regions? An empirical assessment,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 2517-2527.
- Khaled Guesmi & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2011. "How strong is the global integration of emerging market regions? An empirical assessment," EconomiX Working Papers 2011-9, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Cooper, Ian A. & Kaplanis, Evi, 2000. "Partially segmented international capital markets and international capital budgeting," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 309-329, June.
- Nicolas Péridy & Michael Frudenberg & Lionel Fontagné, 1998. "Commerce international et structures de marché : une vérification empirique," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 135(4), pages 147-167.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipg:wpaper:2014-207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.