Performance Persistence of Islamic Equity Mutual Funds
The debate over the under-performance or the over-performance of Islamic funds is not over yet. Hence, our literature review exhibits that all the previous works studied the Islamic equity funds without exploring the persistence of their performance, even if this issue is very important to address several questions in financial management. Our article contributes to the current literature by addressing this shortage; we proceed further with the aim of finding any consistency in funds’ performance. Using a sample of 111 Islamic equity funds over the period 2005 to 2011, the study is carried out through applying different performance measures and non-parametric tests of performance persistence over three equal sub-periods. Our measures of performance show that Islamic funds do not constitute a homogenous group, but over the whole period, Malaysian and Saudi Arabian funds perform better. We find evidence that supports non-persistence in performance or rather the persistence of non-performance of Islamic mutual funds during and after the last financial crisis. This raises the question of the management strategies implemented by the banks managing Islamic funds.
|Date of creation:||25 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 1 53 63 36 00
Web page: http://www.ipag.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopherson, Jon A & Ferson, Wayne E & Glassman, Debra A, 1998.
"Conditioning Manager Alphas on Economic Information: Another Look at the Persistence of Performance,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(1), pages 111-42.
- Jon A. Christopherson & Wayne E. Ferson & Debra A. Glassman, 1996. "Conditioning Manager Alphas on Economic Information: Another Look at the Persistence of Performance," NBER Working Papers 5830, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan Gregory & Julie Whittaker, 2007. "Performance and Performance Persistence of 'Ethical' Unit Trusts in the UK," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(7-8), pages 1327-1344.
- José Renato Haas Ornelas & Antônio Francisco Silva Júnior & José Luiz Barros Fernandes, 2012. "Yes, the choice of performance measure does matter for ranking of us mutual funds," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(1), pages 61-72, 01.
- Andreas G.F. Hoepner & Hussain G. Rammal & Michael Rezec, 2011. "Islamic mutual funds’ financial performance and international investment style: evidence from 20 countries," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(9-10), pages 829-850, November.
- Hendricks, Darryll & Patel, Jayendu & Zeckhauser, Richard, 1993. " Hot Hands in Mutual Funds: Short-Run Persistence of Relative Performance, 1974-1988," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 93-130, March.
- William N. Goetzmann & Stephen J. Brown, 2005.
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm451, Yale School of Management.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Fikriyah Abdullah & Taufiq Hassan & Shamsher Mohamad, 2007. "Investigation of performance of Malaysian Islamic unit trust funds: Comparison with conventional unit trust funds," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(2), pages 142-153.
- Ulrich Derigs & Shehab Marzban, 2010.
"Review and analysis of current Shariah-compliant equity screening practices,"
International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(1), pages 285-303, April.
- Ulrich Derigs & Shehab Marzban, 2008. "Review and analysis of current Shariah-compliant equity screening practice," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(4), pages 285-303, November.
- Malkiel, Burton G, 1995. " Returns from Investing in Equity Mutual Funds 1971 to 1991," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 549-72, June.
- Treynor, Jack L & Black, Fischer, 1973. "How to Use Security Analysis to Improve Portfolio Selection," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(1), pages 66-86, January.
- Norma Md. Saad & M. Shabri Abd. Majid & Salina Kassim & Zarinah Hamid & Rosylin Mohd. Yusof, 2010. "A comparative analysis of the performance of conventional and Islamic unit trust companies in Malaysia," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(1), pages 24-47, February.
- Hayat, Raphie & Kraeussl, Roman, 2011. "Risk and return characteristics of Islamic equity funds," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 189-203, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipg:wpaper:2014-115. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.