Multilevel structured additive regression
Models with structured additive predictor provide a very broad and rich framework for complex regression modeling. They can deal simultaneously with nonlinear covariate effects and time trends, unit- or cluster-specific heterogeneity, spatial heterogeneity and complex interactions between covariates of different type. In this paper, we propose a hierarchical or multilevel version of regression models with structured additive predictor where the regression coefficients of a particular nonlinear term may obey another regression model with structured additive predictor. In that sense, the model is composed of a hierarchy of complex structured additive regression models. The proposed model may be regarded as an extended version of a multilevel model with nonlinear covariate terms in every level of the hierarchy. The model framework is also the basis for generalized random slope modeling based on multiplicative random effects. Inference is fully Bayesian and based on Markov chain Monte Carlo simulation techniques. We provide an in depth description of several highly efficient sampling schemes that allow to estimate complex models with several hierarchy levels and a large number of observations within a couple of minutes (often even seconds). We demonstrate the practicability of the approach in a complex application on childhood undernutrition with large sample size and three hierarchy levels.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uibk.ac.at/fakultaeten/volkswirtschaft_und_statistik/index.html.en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H�vard Rue & Sara Martino & Nicolas Chopin, 2009. "Approximate Bayesian inference for latent Gaussian models by using integrated nested Laplace approximations," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 71(2), pages 319-392.
- Malavika A Subramanyam & Ichiro Kawachi & Lisa F Berkman & S V Subramanian, 2011. "Is Economic Growth Associated with Reduction in Child Undernutrition in India?," Working Papers id:3926, eSocialSciences.
- Yu Yue & Paul Speckman & Dongchu Sun, 2012. "Priors for Bayesian adaptive spline smoothing," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 64(3), pages 577-613, June.
- Brezger, Andreas & Lang, Stefan, 2006. "Generalized structured additive regression based on Bayesian P-splines," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 967-991, February.
- R. A. Rigby & D. M. Stasinopoulos, 2005. "Generalized additive models for location, scale and shape," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 54(3), pages 507-554.
- E. E. Kammann & M. P. Wand, 2003. "Geoadditive models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 52(1), pages 1-18.
- Smith, M. & Kohn, R., .
"Nonparametric Regression using Bayesian Variable Selection,"
Statistics Working Paper
_009, Australian Graduate School of Management.
- Smith, Michael & Kohn, Robert, 1996. "Nonparametric regression using Bayesian variable selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 317-343, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521780506 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521785167 is not listed on IDEAS
- Park, Trevor & Casella, George, 2008. "The Bayesian Lasso," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 681-686, June.
- Cottet, Remy & Kohn, Robert J. & Nott, David J., 2008. "Variable Selection and Model Averaging in Semiparametric Overdispersed Generalized Linear Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 661-671, June.
- Belitz, Christiane & Lang, Stefan, 2008. "Simultaneous selection of variables and smoothing parameters in structured additive regression models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 61-81, September.
- Panagiotelis, Anastasios & Smith, Michael, 2008. "Bayesian identification, selection and estimation of semiparametric functions in high-dimensional additive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 143(2), pages 291-316, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inn:wpaper:2012-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janette Walde)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.