Analysing trade flows and industrial structure of India: The question of data harmonisation
An important requirement for the analysis of trade flows in relation to domestic industrial structure is the availability of a database covering information on trade flows,industry and firm characteristics. Such a database,as yet,does not exist in India. Thus,one is left to opt for the second best solution of compiling data from different sources to produce a harmonised database. This paper is an attempt to provide guidance in that direction.It raises certain relevant research issues on international trade in relation to domestic industrial structure, attempts a critical assessment of various available data sources for empirical analysis and highlights the advantages of choosing certain specific sources:(i) publications of the Directorate General of Commercial Intelligence and Statistics (DGCI&S) which provide data on India 's foreign trade, (ii) Annual Survey of Industries (ASI),which provides data on industry characteristics, and (iii) the electronic data base `Prowess ', which provides data on firm characteristics.Following this,the data on trade flows,industry and firm characteristics are sought to be harmonised. First, the DGCI&S data are matched with 3-digit level National Industrial Classification (NIC)in the ASI,using the concordance table prepared by Debroy and Santhanam (1993).Second,we have constructed a concordance table for selected manufacturing sectors wherein the 3-digit items of NIC are matched with the industry categories in Prowess. Its appropriateness is evaluated by comparing data on value of output and total emoluments to employees as reported in ASI with that in Prowess. By and large,it appears that our concordance table is consistent and effective.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Peasanth Nagar, Trivandrum 695 011, Kerala|
Phone: +91 471 2448 881
Fax: +91 471 2447 137
Web page: http://www.cds.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sunil Mani, 2010. "Government Intervention in Commercial Crop Development: Case of Flue Cured Virginia Tobacco," Working Papers id:2938, eSocialSciences.
- White, Lawrence J, 1974. "Industrial Organization and International Trade: Some Theoretical Considerations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 1013-1020, December.
- N. Shanta & J. Dennis Raja Kumar, 1999. "Corporate statistics: The missing numbers," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 295, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Auquier, Antoine A, 1980. "Sizes of Firms, Exporting Behavior, and the Structure of French Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 203-218, December.
- Krugman, Paul, 2008. "Increasing returns," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 2008-3, Nobel Prize Committee.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ind:cdswpp:321. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.