Bayesian Semiparametric Regression
We consider Bayesian estimation of restricted conditional moment models with linear regression as a particular example. The standard practice in the Bayesian literature for semiparametric models is to use flexible families of distributions for the errors and assume that the errors are independent from covariates. However, a model with flexible covariate dependent error distributions should be preferred for the following reasons: consistent estimation of the parameters of interest even if errors and covariates are dependent; possibly superior prediction intervals and more efficient estimation of the parameters under heteroscedasticity. To address these issues, we develop a Bayesian semiparametric model with flexible predictor dependent error densities and with mean restricted by a conditional moment condition. Sufficient conditions to achieve posterior consistency of the regression parameters and conditional error densities are provided. In experiments, the proposed method compares favorably with classical and alternative Bayesian estimation methods for the estimation of the regression coefficients.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://www.ihs.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Griffin, J.E. & Steel, M.F.J., 2006. "Order-Based Dependent Dirichlet Processes," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 179-194, March.
- Yeonseung Chung & David Dunson, 2011. "The local Dirichlet process," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 63(1), pages 59-80, February.
- Conley, Timothy G. & Hansen, Christian B. & McCulloch, Robert E. & Rossi, Peter E., 2008. "A semi-parametric Bayesian approach to the instrumental variable problem," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 276-305, May.
- Chung, Yeonseung & Dunson, David B., 2009. "Nonparametric Bayes Conditional Distribution Modeling With Variable Selection," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(488), pages 1646-1660.
- Geweke, John & Keane, Michael, 2007. "Smoothly mixing regressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 252-290, May.
- Norets, Andriy & Pelenis, Justinas, 2011.
"Posterior Consistency in Conditional Density Estimation by Covariate Dependent Mixtures,"
282, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Norets, Andriy & Pelenis, Justinas, 2014. "Posterior Consistency In Conditional Density Estimation By Covariate Dependent Mixtures," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(03), pages 606-646, June.
- Keisuke Hirano, 2002. "Semiparametric Bayesian Inference in Autoregressive Panel Data Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 781-799, March.
- Omiros Papaspiliopoulos & Gareth O. Roberts, 2008. "Retrospective Markov chain Monte Carlo methods for Dirichlet process hierarchical models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 95(1), pages 169-186.
- John Geweke & Gianni Amisano, 2007.
"Hierarchical Markov Normal Mixture Models with Applications to Financial Asset Returns,"
0705, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- John Geweke & Gianni Amisano, 2011. "Hierarchical Markov normal mixture models with applications to financial asset returns," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(1), pages 1-29, January/F.
- Geweke, John & Amisano, Gianni, 2007. "Hierarchical Markov normal mixture models with applications to financial asset returns," Working Paper Series 0831, European Central Bank.
- De Iorio, Maria & Muller, Peter & Rosner, Gary L. & MacEachern, Steven N., 2004. "An ANOVA Model for Dependent Random Measures," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 205-215, January.
- David B. Dunson & Ju-Hyun Park, 2008. "Kernel stick-breaking processes," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 95(2), pages 307-323.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ihs:ihsesp:285. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.