Cognition and Incomplete Contracts
Thinking about contingencies, designing covenants, and seeing through their implications is costly. Parties to a contract accordingly use heuristics and leave it incomplete. The paper develops a model of limited cognition and examines its consequences for contractual design. (JEL D23, D82, D86, L22)
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in American Economic Review, vol.�99, n°1, mars 2009, p.�265-294.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderlini, L. & Felli, L., 1993.
"Incomplete Written Contracts: Undescribable States of Nature,"
183, Cambridge - Risk, Information & Quantity Signals.
- Anderlini, Luca & Felli, Leonardo, 1994. "Incomplete Written Contracts: Undescribable States of Nature," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 1085-1124, November.
- Douglas W Diamond, 1992. "Bank Loan Maturity and Priority when Borrowers can Refinance," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0022, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Eric Maskin & John Moore, 1999.
"Implementation and Renegotiation,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1863, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Hermalin, Benjamin, 1990.
"Adverse Selection, Short-Term Contracting, and the Underprovision of On-the-Job Training,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt3636n9n2, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Hermalin Benjamin E., 2002. "Adverse Selection, Short-Term Contracting, and the Underprovision of On-the-Job Training," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-21, July.
- Benjamin Hermalin., 1990. "Adverse Selection, Short-Term Contracting, and the Underprovision of On-the-Job Training," Economics Working Papers 90-139, University of California at Berkeley.
- Salvatore Piccolo & David Martimort, 2006. "The Strategic Value of Incomplete Contracting in a Competing Hierarchies Environment," CSEF Working Papers 160, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 08 Dec 2006.
- Guasch, J. Luis & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Straub, Stephane, 2003.
"Renegotiation of concession contracts in Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3011, The World Bank.
- J. Luis Guasch & Jean-Jacques Laffont & Stephane Straub, 2004. "Renegotiation of Concession Contracts in Latin America," ESE Discussion Papers 103, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Xavier Gabaix & David Laibson, 2005.
"Shrouded Attributes, Consumer Myopia, and Information Suppression in Competitive Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
11755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Gabaix & David Laibson, 2006. "Shrouded Attributes, Consumer Myopia, and Information Suppression in Competitive Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 121(2), pages 505-540, May.
- Laibson, David I. & Gabaix, Xavier, 2006. "Shrouded Attributes, Consumer Myopia, and Information Suppression in Competitive Markets," Scholarly Articles 4554333, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Patrick Bolton & Antoine Faure-Grimaud, 2005. "Thinking Ahead: The Decision Problem," NBER Working Papers 11867, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1992.
"Measurement Distortion and Missing Contingencies in Optimal Contracts,"
Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Allen, F. & Gale, D., 1990. "Measurement Distortion And Missing Contingencies In Optimal Contracts," Weiss Center Working Papers 26-90, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Jonathan Levin & Steven Tadelis, 2007. "Contracting for Government Services: Theory and Evidence from U.S. Cities," NBER Working Papers 13350, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, Philippe & Hermalin, Benjamin, 1990.
"Legal Restrictions on Private Contracts Can Enhance Efficiency,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 381-409, Fall.
- Aghion, P. & Hermalin, B., 1990. "Legal Restrictions on Private Contracts Can Enhance Efficiency," DELTA Working Papers 90-14, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Valila, Timo, 2005. "How expensive are cost savings? On the economics of public-private partnerships," EIB Papers 4/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:7039. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.