Railway (De) Regulation : A European Efficiency Comparison
We estimate the effects of reforms on railroad efficiency in Europe by using a new panel data set that covers most EU countries over a period of more than 20 years. A production frontier model finds that efficiency increases when reforms such as third-party network access, introduction of an independent regulator, and vertical separation are implemented. However, the reform effects depend on sequencing: introduction of multiple reforms in a package has negative effects, while sequential reforms improve efficiency. We also show that our results are robust against potential problems of endogeneity. Copyright (c) The London School of Economics and Political Science 2008.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:||2007|
|Publication status:||Published in Economica, vol. 77, n°305, 2010, p. 77-91.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coelli, Tim & Perelman, Sergio, 1999. "A comparison of parametric and non-parametric distance functions: With application to European railways," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 326-339, September.
- Pedro Cantos & José Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 1999. "Productivity, efficiency and technical change in the European railways: A non-parametric approach," Transportation, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 337-357, November.
- Ng, Charles K & Seabright, Paul, 2001. "Competition, Privatisation and Productive Efficiency: Evidence from the Airline Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(473), pages 591-619, July.
- Gathon, H.-J. & Pestieau, P., .
"Decomposing efficiency into its managerial and its regulatory components: The case of European railways,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1133, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gathon, H. -J. & Pestieau, P., 1995. "Decomposing efficiency into its managerial and its regulatory components: The case of European railways," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 500-507, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:559. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.