Is Latin America on the Right Track? An Analysis of Medium-Term Frameworks and the Budget Process
Medium Term Fiscal Frameworks (MTFs) have become one of the most popular reforms to the budgetary process in Latin America during the last decade, and introducing MTFs seemed to be the magic solution for most fiscal ailments. Nonetheless, there has been no comprehensive evaluation of their impact. This document discusses the normative merits of using MTFs, provides a characterization of the different types of MTF, and describes their development in the Latin American region based on extensive field work. As a first approximation for understanding how they are working, this document explores in detail the cases of Argentina, Colombia and Peru. While an unambiguous diagnosis is not possible, this document lays the groundwork for progress toward comprehensive impact evaluations and, eventually, to the consolidation of MTFs in the region.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:idb:idbbks:6725 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mark Hallerberg & Carlos Scartascini, 2011.
"Economic Crisis and Fiscal Reforms in Latin America,"
Research Department Publications
4697, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Mark Hallerberg & Carlos Scartascini, 2011. "Economic Crisis and Fiscal Reforms in Latin America," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 3092, Inter-American Development Bank.
- repec:idb:brikps:40358 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carlos Scartascini & Ernesto H. Stein & Emmanuel Abuelafia & Sergio Berensztein & Miguel Braun & Luciano Di Gresia & Lee J. Alston & Marcus André Melo & Bernardo Mueller & Carlos Pereira & Mauricio Cá, 2009. "Who Decides the Budget? A Political Economy Analysis of the Budget Process in Latin America," IDB Publications (Books), Inter-American Development Bank, number 87294 edited by Mark Hallerberg & Carlos Scartascini & Ernesto H. Stein, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4659. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Felipe Herrera Library)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.