Budgeting for results in Latin America: Conditions for its deployment and development
Given current evidence of potential tangible benefits, in terms of public expenditure sustainability, efficiency and effectiveness, from more efficient utilization of budgeting for results, how can we explain the uneven development of this process in Latin America and the Caribbean? This paper analyzes the conditions that favor its implementation (institutional conditions, motivation, capacities, and legal support), and provides policy recommendations aimed at increasing the likelihood that countries will eventually introduce budgeting for results and in its total utilization once these systems are in course.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Hallerberg & Carlos Scartascini, 2011.
"Economic Crisis and Fiscal Reforms in Latin America,"
Research Department Publications
4697, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Mark Hallerberg & Carlos Scartascini, 2011. "Economic Crisis and Fiscal Reforms in Latin America," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 37738, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Filc, Gabriel & Scartascini, Carlos, 2012. "El presupuesto por resultados en América Latina: un análisis de economía política de sus determinantes," Coediciones, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), number 1459, September.
- Allen Schick, 2003. "The Performing State: Reflection on an Idea Whose Time Has Come but Whose Implementation Has Not," OECD Journal on Budgeting, OECD Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 71-103.
- Carlos Scartascini & Ernesto H. Stein & Emmanuel Abuelafia & Sergio Berensztein & Miguel Braun & Luciano Di Gresia & Lee J. Alston & Marcus André Melo & Bernardo Mueller & Carlos Pereira & Mauricio Cá, 2009. "Who Decides the Budget? A Political Economy Analysis of the Budget Process in Latin America," IDB Publications (Books), Inter-American Development Bank, number 87294 edited by Mark Hallerberg & Carlos Scartascini & Ernesto H. Stein, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4787. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.