Household Responses to Adverse Income Shocks in Latin America
This paper uses a new data set to study household responses to adverse income shocks in seven Latin American countries. The results show (i) that households respond to income shocks mainly by increasing their labor force participation, selling assets, and cutting back on human capital investments, (ii) that poor households are the most likely to be affected by adverse income shocks, and (iii) that lower-middle-class households are more likely to cut back on human capital investments and move abroad when faced with an adverse income shock. Taken together, these results offer ample justification for publicly funded safety nets that target the poor.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaviria, Alejandro & Pages, Carmen, 2002. "Patterns of crime victimization in Latin American cities," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 181-203, February.
- Nora Lustig, 2000. "Crises and the Poor: Socially Responsible Macroeconomics," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Fall 2000), pages 1-30, August.
- Alejandro Gaviria & Carmen Pagés-Serra, 1999.
"Patterns of Crime Victimization in Latin America,"
Research Department Publications
4186, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Alejandro Gaviria & Carmen Pagés, 1999. "Patterns of Crime Victimization in Latin America," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 4124, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Alejandro Gaviria Uribe, 2000. "¿Sobre quién ha recaído el peso de la crisis?," COYUNTURA SOCIAL 012962, FEDESARROLLO. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)