Social Mobility in Latin America: Links with Adolescent Schooling
This paper proposes a new measure of social mobility. It is based on schooling gap regressions and uses the Fields decomposition to determine the importance of family background in explaining teenagers schooling gaps.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin M. Murphy & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1991.
"The Allocation of Talent: Implications for Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 503-530.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1990. "The Allocation of Talent: Implications for Growth," NBER Working Papers 3530, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1990. "The Allocation of Talent: Implicationsfor Growth," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 65, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Behrman, Jere R & Taubman, Paul, 1986. "Birth Order, Schooling, and Earnings," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(3), pages S121-45, July.
- Dollar, David & Fisman, Raymond & Gatti, Roberta, 2001. "Are women really the "fairer" sex? Corruption and women in government," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 423-429, December.
- Lakshmi K. Raut, 1996. "Signalling equilibrium, Intergenerational mobility and long-run growth," GE, Growth, Math methods 9603002, EconWPA.
- Hassler, John & Mora , José V. Rodríguez, 1998.
"IQ, Social Mobility and Growth,"
635, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Nancy Birdsall & Jere R. Behrman & Miguel Székely, 1998.
"Intergenerational Schooling Mobility and Macro Conditions and Schooling Policies in Latin America,"
Research Department Publications
4144, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Jere R. Behrman & Nancy Birdsall & Miguel Székely, 1998. "Intergenerational Schooling Mobility and Macro Conditions and Schooling Policies in Latin America," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6446, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Michael Kremer, 1996.
"How Much Does Sorting Increase Inequality?,"
NBER Working Papers
5566, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gaviria, Alejandro, 2002.
"Intergenerational mobility, sibling inequality and borrowing constraints,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 331-340, August.
- Gaviria, Alejandro, 1998. "Intergenerational Mobility, Siblings' Inequality and Borrowing Constraints," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt8x16c72b, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Moulton, Brent R., 1986. "Random group effects and the precision of regression estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 385-397, August.
- Alejandro Gaviria & Momi Dahan, 1999.
"Sibling Correlations and Social Mobility in Latin America,"
Research Department Publications
4162, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Momi Dahan & Alejandro Gaviria, 1999. "Sibling Correlations and Social Mobility in Latin America," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6451, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Thomas A. Dunn, 1995. "The Effects of School and Family Characteristics on the Return to Education," NBER Working Papers 5072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald J. Robbins, 1999. "Gender, Human Capital and Growth: Evidence from Six Latin American Countries," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 151, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:3130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.