Genetic Information in Agricultural Productivity and Product Development
A prominent facet of recent changes in agriculture has been the advent of precision breeding techniques. Another has been an increase in the level of information inputs and outputs associated with agricultural production. This paper identifies ways in which these features may complement in expanding the variety of processed products, the level of productivity, and the rate of change in productivity. Using a martingale concept of "more information," we identify conditions under which more information increases the incentives to invest and engage in product differentiation. A theory on how genetic uniformity can enhance the rate of learning through process experimentation, and so the rate of technical change, is also developed.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 578 Heady Hall, Ames, Iowa 50011-1070|
Phone: (515) 294-1183
Fax: (515) 294-6336
Web page: http://www.card.iastate.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert G. Chambers & John Quiggin, "undated".
"Information and the Risk-Averse Firm,"
Risk & Uncertainty Working Papers
WPR03_2, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Quiggin, John, 2001. "Information and the Risk-Averse Firm," Working Papers 197599, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Quiggin, John, 2003. "Information and the risk-averse firm," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 150344, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Allen, Douglas W & Lueck, Dean, 1998. "The Nature of the Farm," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(2), pages 343-386, October.
- Ferrier, Peyton Michael, 2002. "Measurement Of Grading Error Costs In The Beef Industry," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19906, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Susan Athey & Jonathan Levin, 1998. "The Value of Information In Monotone Decision Problems," Working papers 98-24, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Levin & Susan Athey, 2001. "The Value of Information in Monotone Decision Problems," Working Papers 01003, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- David A. Hennessy, 1996. "Information Asymmetry as a Reason for Food Industry Vertical Integration," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 1034-1043.
- Hennessy, David A., 1996. "Information Asymmetry As a Reason for Food Industry Vertical Integration," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5032, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Nelson, Richard R & Winter, Sidney G, 1982. "The Schumpeterian Tradeoff Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 114-132, March.
- Juan Dubra & Federico Echenique, 2001. "Measurability Is Not about Information," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1296, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter Bogetoft & Henrik Ballebye Olesen, 2003. "Incentives, Information Systems, and Competition," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 234-247.
- Peter Bogetoft & Henrik B. Olesen, 2000. "Incentives, Information Systems and Competition," CIE Discussion Papers 2000-12, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Bonaccorsi, Andrea & Giuri, Paola, 2001. "The long-term evolution of vertically-related industries," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1053-1083, July.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Paola Giuri, 2000. "The long term evolution of vertically-related industries," LEM Papers Series 2000/01, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Allen, Beth, 1983. "Neighboring information and distributions of agents' characteristics under uncertainty," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 63-101, September.
- Knoeber, Charles R, 1989. "A Real Game of Chicken: Contracts, Tournaments, and the Production of Broilers," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(2), pages 271-292, Fall.
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1992. "Organizational Capabilities and the Economic History of the Industrial Enterprise," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 79-100, Summer. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)