Informed Control Over Inputs and Extent of Industrial Processing
Stylized facts regarding the industrial process include emphases on obtaining information about and control over the quality of raw materials. We provide a model that establishes conditions under which informed control involves ensuring uniformity in inputs and increased uniformity encourages more extensive processing. We show when the Boltzmann-Shannon entropy statistic is an appropriate measure of uniformity.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 578 Heady Hall, Ames, Iowa 50011-1070|
Phone: (515) 294-1183
Fax: (515) 294-6336
Web page: http://www.card.iastate.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- John A. Miranowski & Bruce A. Babcock, 2004.
"Genetic Information in Agricultural Productivity and Product Development,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 73-87.
- David A. Hennessy & John Miranowski & Bruce A. Babcock, 2003. "Genetic Information in Agricultural Productivity and Product Development," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 03-wp329, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Hennessy, David A. & Miranowski, John & Babcock, Bruce A., 2003. "Genetic Information in Agricultural Productivity and Product Development," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10340, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Weitzman, Martin L., 2000.
"Economic Profitability Versus Ecological Entropy,"
3693703, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Sen, Amartya & Starrett, David, 1973. "Notes on the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 180-187, April.
- Chalfant, James A. & James, Jennifer S. & Lavoie, Nathalie & Sexton, Richard J., 1999. "Asymmetric Grading Error And Adverse Selection: Lemons In The California Prune Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ias:cpaper:05-wp398. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.