Genetic Information in Agricultural Productivity and Product Development
Two prominent features of recent changes in agriculture have been the advent of precision breeding techniques and an increase in the level of information netputs in production. This article identifies ways in which these features may complement in expanding the variety of processed products, level of productivity, and rate of change in productivity. Using a martingale concept of information, we identify conditions under which information increases the incentives to invest and engage in product differentiation activities. A theory on how genetic uniformity can enhance the rate of learning through process experimentation, and so the rate of technical change, is developed. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 86 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Bogetoft & Henrik Ballebye Olesen, 2003.
"Incentives, Information Systems, and Competition,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 234-247.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Paola Giuri, 2000.
"The long term evolution of vertically-related industries,"
LEM Papers Series
2000/01, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Bonaccorsi, Andrea & Giuri, Paola, 2001. "The long-term evolution of vertically-related industries," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1053-1083, July.
- Allen, Douglas W & Lueck, Dean, 1998. "The Nature of the Farm," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(2), pages 343-86, October.
- Juan Dubra & Federico Echenique, 2001. "Measurability Is Not about Information," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1296, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1992. "Organizational Capabilities and the Economic History of the Industrial Enterprise," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 79-100, Summer.
- Hennessy, David A., 1996.
"Information Asymmetry As a Reason for Food Industry Vertical Integration,"
Staff General Research Papers
5032, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David A. Hennessy, 1996. "Information Asymmetry as a Reason for Food Industry Vertical Integration," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 1034-1043.
- Robert G. Chambers & John Quiggin, .
"Information and the Risk-Averse Firm,"
Risk & Uncertainty Working Papers
WPR03_2, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Chambers, Robert G & Quiggin, John, 2003. "Information and the risk-averse firm," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 150344, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Quiggin, John, 2001. "Information and the Risk-Averse Firm," Working Papers 197599, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Susan Athey & Jonathan Levin, 1998.
"The Value of Information In Monotone Decision Problems,"
98-24, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Levin & Susan Athey, 2001. "The Value of Information in Monotone Decision Problems," Working Papers 01003, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Ferrier, Peyton Michael, 2002. "Measurement Of Grading Error Costs In The Beef Industry," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19906, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Nelson, Richard R & Winter, Sidney G, 1982. "The Schumpeterian Tradeoff Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 114-32, March.
- Knoeber, Charles R, 1989. "A Real Game of Chicken: Contracts, Tournaments, and the Production of Broilers," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(2), pages 271-92, Fall.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Allen, Beth, 1983. "Neighboring information and distributions of agents' characteristics under uncertainty," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 63-101, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:86:y:2004:i:1:p:73-87. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.