Optimal Smoothing for a Computationally and Statistically Efficient Single Index Estimator
In semiparametric models it is a common approach to under-smooth the nonparametric functions in order that estimators of the finite dimensional parameters can achieve root-n consistency. The requirement of under-smoothing may result as we show from inefficient estimation methods or technical difficulties. Based on local linear kernel smoother, we propose an estimation method to estimate the single-index model without under-smoothing. Under some conditions, our estimator of the single-index is asymptotically normal and most efficient in the semi-parametric sense. Moreover, we derive higher expansions for our estimator and use them to define an optimal bandwidth for the purposes of index estimation. As a result we obtain a practically more relevant method and we show its superior performance in a variety of applications.
|Date of creation:||May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521370905 is not listed on IDEAS
- Powell, James L. & Stoker, Thomas M., 1996. "Optimal bandwidth choice for density-weighted averages," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 291-316, December.
- Hardle, W. & Tsybakov, A.B., 1992.
"How Sensitive are Average Derivatives?,"
9208, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Hardle, W. & Tsybakov, A., 1991. "How sensitive are average derivates ?," CORE Discussion Papers 1991044, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Härdle, W.K. & Tsybakov, A.B., 1992. "How sensitive are average derivatives?," Discussion Paper 1992-8, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Xia, Yingcun, 2006. "Asymptotic Distributions For Two Estimators Of The Single-Index Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(06), pages 1112-1137, December.
- Yoshihiko Nishiyama & Peter M. Robinson, 2005.
"The Bootstrap and the Edgeworth Correction for Semiparametric Averaged Derivatives,"
Econometric Society, vol. 73(3), pages 903-948, 05.
- Y. Nishiyama & Peter Robinson, 2004. "The bootstrap and the Edgeworth correction for semiparametric averaged derivatives," CeMMAP working papers CWP12/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521424318 is not listed on IDEAS
- Linton, Oliver, 1995.
"Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1079-1112, September.
- Oliver Linton, 1993. "Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1065, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Yoshihiko Nishiyama & Peter M. Robinson, 2005. "The bootstrap and the Edgeworth correction for semiparametric averaged derivatives," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2297, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Xiangrong Yin & R. Dennis Cook, 2005. "Direction estimation in single-index regressions," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(2), pages 371-384, June.
- Ichimura, H., 1991. "Semiparametric Least Squares (sls) and Weighted SLS Estimation of Single- Index Models," Papers 264, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- Y. Nishiyama & P. M. Robinson, 2000. "Edgeworth Expansions for Semiparametric Averaged Derivatives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(4), pages 931-980, July.
- Yingcun Xia & Howell Tong & W. K. Li & Li-Xing Zhu, 2002. "An adaptive estimation of dimension reduction space," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(3), pages 363-410.
- repec:cep:stiecm:/2005/483 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hardle, W. & Hall, P. & Ichimura, H., 1991. "Optimal smoothing in single index models," CORE Discussion Papers 1991007, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Powell, James L & Stock, James H & Stoker, Thomas M, 1989. "Semiparametric Estimation of Index Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1403-30, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hum:wpaper:sfb649dp2009-028. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.