Commercial Policy and Foreign Ownership
To serve the domestic market, foreign multinationals often not only export there but also control local firms through FDI. This paper examines the effects of trade and industrial policies on prices, outputs, profits, and welfare when exports and FDI coexist. Specifically, we focus on the case in which a foreign firm has full control of a local firm through partial ownership. Cross-border ownership on the basis of both financial interests and corporate control leads to horizontal market-linkages through which tariffs and production subsidies may harm a locally-owned firm but benefit a foreign firm. Foreign ownership regulation benefits a locally-owned firm.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186|
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James R. Markusen, 2004.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, July.
- Markusen, James R., 2002. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MPRA Paper 8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Flath, David, 1991. "When is it rational for firms to acquire silent interests in rivals?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 573-583, December.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development," NBER Working Papers 6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barbara J. Spencer & James A. Brander, 1982. "Tariff Protection and Imperfect Competition," Working Papers 517, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Benson, Bruce L. & Hartigan, James C., 1983. "Tariffs which lower price in the restricting country : An analysis of spatial markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 117-133, August.
- Long, Ngo Van & Soubeyran, Antoine, 2001. "International Cross-Ownership and Strategic Trade Policies," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Long, N.V. & Soubeyran, A., 1998. "International Cross Ownership And Strategic Trade Policies," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 98a21, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Barbara Spencer, 2005. "International outsourcing and incomplete contracts," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1107-1135, November.
- Barbara J. Spencer, 2005. "International Outsourcing and Incomplete Contracts," NBER Working Papers 11418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Qiu, Larry D. & Spencer, Barbara J., 2002. "Keiretsu and relationship-specific investment: implications for market-opening trade policy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 49-79, October.
- Larry D. Qiu & Barbara J. Spencer, 2001. "Keiretsu and Relationship-Specific Investment: Implications for Market-Opening Trade Policy," NBER Working Papers 8279, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jota Ishikawa & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2008. "Effects of Multilateral Trade Liberalization on Prices," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 37-44, 02.
- Ishikawa, Jota, 1998. "Who Benefits from Voluntary Export Restraints?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 129-141, February.
- Jota Ishikawa & Yoichi Sugita, 2004. "Commercial policy under cross-border ownership," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 663, Econometric Society.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Ono, Yoshiyasu, 1988. "Helping Minor Firms Reduces Welfare," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(393), pages 1199-1202, December.
- Lee, Sanghack, 1990. "International equity markets and trade policy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 173-184, August.
- Morita, Hodaka, 2001. "Partial Ownership Induces Customised Investments under Repeated Interaction: An Explanation of Japanese Manufacturer-Suppliers Relationships," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 48(3), pages 345-359, August.
- Jota Ishikawa & Yoichi Sugita & Laixun Zhao, 2009. "Corporate Control, Foreign Ownership Regulations and Technology Transfer," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 85(269), pages 197-209, 06. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hst:ghsdps:gd08-005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.