A Study on the Transmission of Money Market Tensions in EMEAP Economies During the Credit Crisis of 2007 - 2008
The recent tension in the interbank markets following the global financial crisis has raised concerns about the turbulence in interbank markets. This paper utilises two widely used indicators for measuring interbank stress (the interbank rate less the Overnight Index Swap rate and the interbank rate less the yield of government securities) to examine the transmission of interbank tension from the US dollar to nine interbank markets in the EMEAP economies. Using a vector autoregression model, we show that during the credit crisis of 2007 - 2008, the distress in the US dollar money market had a material impact with durations of seven to 13 days on the interbank markets for the Hong Kong dollar, Japanese yen, Australian dollar and New Zealand dollar. Moreover, based on a bivariate regime switching ARCH model, we also find evidence of volatility co-movement between the interbank stress indicator of the US dollar and that of the Hong Kong dollar, Japanese yen, Australian dollar, New Zealand dollar, Korean won and Singapore dollar during the crisis. The expected duration when two money markets are both in a high-volatility state is estimated to be as long as seven days. The short-lived impact on the EMEAP economies from a shock in the US dollar money market can be attributed to the policy actions taken by central banks and monetary authorities in the region and the coordinated efforts by policy makers worldwide to contain the credit crisis.
|Date of creation:||May 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 55th Floor, Two International Finance Centre, 8 Finance Street, Central|
Web page: http://www.info.gov.hk/hkma/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kei Imakubo & Takeshi Kimura & Teppei Nagano, 2008. "Cross-currency transmission of money market tensions," Bank of Japan Review Series 08-E-2, Bank of Japan.
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-472, August.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- Edwards, Sebastian & Susmel, Raul, 2001.
"Volatility dependence and contagion in emerging equity markets,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 505-532, December.
- Sebastian Edwards & Raul Susmel, 2001. "Volatility Dependence and Contagion in Emerging Equity Markets," NBER Working Papers 8506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- François-Louis Michaud & Christian Upper, 2008. "What drives interbank rates? Evidence from the Libor panel," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1990. "Persistence in Variance, Structural Change, and the GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 225-234, April.
- Ramchand, Latha & Susmel, Raul, 1998. "Volatility and cross correlation across major stock markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 397-416, October.
- Hamilton, James D. & Susmel, Raul, 1994. "Autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity and changes in regime," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 307-333.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to estimate Hamilton-Susmel Markov Switching ARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00083, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Heiko Hesse & Nathaniel Frank & Brenda Gonzalez-Hermosillo, 2008. "Transmission of Liquidity Shocks; Evidence from the 2007 Subprime Crisis," IMF Working Papers 08/200, International Monetary Fund.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hkg:wpaper:0909. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Chan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.