The Consumption-Wealth Ratio, Real Estate Wealth, and the Japanese Stock Market
The first contribution of this paper, following the works of Lettau and Ludvigson (2001a,b), is construction of the Japanese consumption-wealth ratio data series and to examine whether it explains Japanese stock market data. We find that the consumption-wealth ratio does not predict future stock returns, but it does help to explain the cross-section of Japanese stock returns. The second contribution of the paper is that we propose new consumption-wealth ratios in terms of which we more explicitly deal with household real estate wealth utilizing Japanese aggregate level data. Such "real estate augmented" consumption-wealth ratios work in a similar way, but perform better than, the consumption-wealth ratio calculated with only financial wealth data. While the scaled factor model with the consumption-wealth ratio proposed by Lettau and Ludvigson performs relatively well with Japanese data, the book-to-market related anomaly pointed out by Jagannathan et al. (1998) remains strong.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||July 13, 2008, The previous version of this paper was circulated under the title of "The Consumption-Wealth Ratio and the Japanese Stock Market". We made substantial changes to the calculation of the variables used in the empirical analyses in this current version.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Wang, Zhenyu, 1996.
" The Conditional CAPM and the Cross-Section of Expected Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 3-53, March.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Zhenyu Wang, 1996. "The conditional CAPM and the cross-section of expected returns," Staff Report 208, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Lustig, Hanno & van Nieuwerburgh, Stijn & Verdelhan, Adrien, 2012.
"The Wealth-Consumption Ratio,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9022, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul P.J. Gao & Kevin X.D. Huang, 2008.
"Aggregate Consumption-Wealth Ratio and the Cross-Section of Stock Returns: Some International Evidence,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 9(1), pages 1-37, May.
- Paul Gao & Kevin X.D. Huang, 2004. "Aggregate consumption-wealth ratio and the cross-section of stock returns: some international evidence," Research Working Paper RWP 04-07, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Motohiro Yogo, 2006. "A Consumption-Based Explanation of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 539-580, 04.
- Hanno N. Lustig & Stijn G. Van Nieuwerburgh, 2005.
"Housing Collateral, Consumption Insurance, and Risk Premia: An Empirical Perspective,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1167-1219, 06.
- Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2003. "Housing Collateral, Consumption Insurance and Risk Premia: An Empirical Perpective," NBER Working Papers 9959, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:hituec:a504. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiromichi Miyake)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.