The impact of foreign direct investment on host country exports: Sector based evidence from Indonesian manufacturing
This study sought to elucidate the existence of a link between foreign direct investment (FDI) and exports in the manufacturing sectors of Indonesia. It contributes to the literature by investigating the sector-based impact of inward FDI on a host country's exports, using disaggregated data of manufacturing sectors categorized by factor intensity from 1990 to 2008. So doing enables one to test an FDI-substitute or FDI-complementary effect on sector-based export performance. The FDI theory proposes the possibility of an export-promoting effect in host economies. Employing panel analysis on the full sample and subsamples, and by later applying a differentiated cross-section effect, we found that FDI flows significantly crowd-in manufacturing exports in most panel observations. Interestingly, such an export effect is even stronger in physical capital, human capital, and technology-intensive sectors, without any significant evidence of a crowd-out effect in natural resource-intensive and unskilled labor-intensive industries, sectors in which Indonesia has a comparative advantage. In addition, this study uncovered the importance of other determinants of export performance. The findings draw some main policy implications, namely the importance of targeted sector-based policy, competitive exchange rate management, and further development of industrialization towards high value-added activities.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/en/idec/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Ramstetter, 1999. "Trade Propensities and Foreign Ownership Shares in Indonesian Manufacturing," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 43-66.
- Purvis, Douglas D, 1972.
"Technology, Trade and Factor Mobility,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(327), pages 991-999, September.
- Douglas D. Purvis, 1971. "Technology, Trade and Factor Mobility," Working Papers 54, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala & James Riedel, 1996. "Modelling NIE exports: Aggregation, quantitative restrictions and choice of econometric methodology," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(1), pages 81-98.
- Brezis, Elise S & Krugman, Paul R & Tsiddon, Daniel, 1993. "Leapfrogging in International Competition: A Theory of Cycles in National Technological Leadership," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1211-1219, December.
- Hill, Hal, 1996. "Indonesia's Industrial Policy and Performance: "Orthodoxy" Vindicated," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(1), pages 147-174, October.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann, 1993. "Are there positive spillovers from direct foreign investment? : Evidence from panel data for Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-74, October.
- Thee Kian Wie, 2010. "Technology and Indonesiaâ€™s Industrial Competitiveness," Working Papers id:3295, eSocialSciences.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Suphat Suphachalasai, 2004. "Post-crisis Export Performance in Thailand," Departmental Working Papers 2004-04, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Hoon, Hian Teck, 2005. "Trade, capital accumulation and structural unemployment: an empirical study of the Singapore economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 125-152, June.
- Hiau Looi Kee & Hian Teck Hoon, 2004. "Trade, Capital Accumulation and Structural Unemployment: An Empirical Study of the Singapore Economy," Working Papers 06-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics, revised Mar 2004.
- Hiau Looi Kee & Hian Teck Hoon, 2004. "Trade, capital accumulation, and structural unemployment : An empirical study of the Singapore economy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3272, The World Bank.
- Zhang, Kevin Honglin & Song, Shunfeng, 2001. "Promoting exports: the role of inward FDI in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 385-396.
- repec:nsr:niesrd:71 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hal Hill & Prema-chandra Athukorala, 1998. "Foreign Investment in East Asia: A Survey," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 12(2), pages 23-50, November.
- Ishida, Masami, 2003. "Industrialization in Indonesia since the 1970s," IDE Research Papers 5, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hir:idecdp:2-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keisuke Kawata)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.