Personal And Social Proximity: Shaping Leadership In A Free Software Project
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Heidi Wiig Aslesen & Mark Freel, 2012. "Industrial Knowledge Bases as Drivers of Open Innovation?," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(7), pages 563-584, October.
- Samer Faraj & Georg von Krogh & Eric Monteiro & Karim R. Lakhani, 2016. "Special Section Introduction—Online Community as Space for Knowledge Flows," Information Systems Research, INFORMS, vol. 27(4), pages 668-684, December.
- Lee Fleming & David M. Waguespack, 2007. "Brokerage, Boundary Spanning, and Leadership in Open Innovation Communities," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(2), pages 165-180, April.
- Claudia Keser & Frans Van Winden, 2000.
"Conditional Cooperation and Voluntary Contributions to Public Goods,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(1), pages 23-39, March.
- Claudia Keser & Frans A.A.M. van Winden, 2000. "Conditional Cooperation and Voluntary Contributions to Public Goods," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-011/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bitzer, Jurgen & Schrettl, Wolfram & Schroder, Philipp J.H., 2007.
"Intrinsic motivation in open source software development,"
Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 160-169, March.
- Bitzer, Jürgen & Schrettl, Wolfram & Schröder, Philipp J. H., 2004. "Intrinsic motivation in open source software development," Discussion Papers 2004/19, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Jürgen Bitzer & Wolfram Schrettl & Philipp J.H. Schröder, 2005. "Intrinsic Motivation in Open Source Software Development," Development and Comp Systems 0505007, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Samer Faraj & Sirkka L. Jarvenpaa & Ann Majchrzak, 2011. "Knowledge Collaboration in Online Communities," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(5), pages 1224-1239, October.
- Mateos-Garcia, Juan & Steinmueller, W. Edward, 2008. "The institutions of open source software: Examining the Debian community," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 333-344, December.
- Giuri, Paola & Rullani, Francesco & Torrisi, Salvatore, 2008. "Explaining leadership in virtual teams: The case of open source software," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 305-315, December.
- Linus Dahlander & Siobhan O'Mahony, 2011. "Progressing to the Center: Coordinating Project Work," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(4), pages 961-979, August.
- Linus Dahlander & Lars Frederiksen & Francesco Rullani, 2008. "Online Communities and Open Innovation," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 115-123.
- François Horn & Didier Demazière & Marc Zune, 2007. "The functioning of a free software community : entanglement of three regulation modes --control, autonomous, and distributed," Post-Print halshs-00278799, HAL.
- Dilan Aksoy-Yurdagul, 2015. "The Impact of Open Source Software Commercialization on Firm Value," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Joel West & Siobhan O'mahony, 2008. "The Role of Participation Architecture in Growing Sponsored Open Source Communities," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 145-168.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- Lakhani, Karim R. & von Hippel, Eric, 2003. "How open source software works: "free" user-to-user assistance," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 923-943, June.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Engelhardt, Sebastian v. & Freytag, Andreas, 2013. "Institutions, culture, and open source," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 95(C), pages 90-110.
- Nicolai j. Foss & Lars Frederiksen & Francesco Rullani, 2016. "Problem‐formulation and problem‐solving in self‐organized communities: How modes of communication shape project behaviors in the free open‐source software community," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(13), pages 2589-2610, December.
- Sebastian Spaeth & Georg von Krogh & Fang He, 2015. "Research Note —Perceived Firm Attributes and Intrinsic Motivation in Sponsored Open Source Software Projects," Information Systems Research, INFORMS, vol. 26(1), pages 224-237, March.
- Linus Dahlander & Lars Frederiksen, 2012. "The Core and Cosmopolitans: A Relational View of Innovation in User Communities," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(4), pages 988-1007, August.
- Adrián Kovács & Bart Looy & Bruno Cassiman, 2015. "Exploring the scope of open innovation: a bibliometric review of a decade of research," Scientometrics, Springer;Akadémiai Kiadó, vol. 104(3), pages 951-983, September.
- Vivianna Fang He & Phanish Puranam & Yash Raj Shrestha & Georg von Krogh, 2020. "Resolving governance disputes in communities: A study of software license decisions," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(10), pages 1837-1868, October.
- Islam, Mazhar & Miller, Jacob & Park, Haemin Dennis, 2017. "But what will it cost me? How do private costs of participation affect open source software projects?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 1062-1070.
- Silvia Rita Sedita & Ivan De Noni & Luciano Pilotti, 2014.
"How do related variety and differentiated knowledge bases influence the resilience of local production systems?,"
"Marco Fanno" Working Papers
0180, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Sedita , Silvia Rita & de Noni , Ivan & Pilotti , Luciano, 2015. "How do related variety and differentiated knowledge bases influence the resilience of local production systems?," Papers in Innovation Studies 2015/4, Lund University, CIRCLE - Centre for Innovation Research.
- Shan, Wei & Qiao, Tong & Zhang, Mingli, 2020. "Getting more resources for better performance: The effect of user-owned resources on the value of user-generated content," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 161(C).
- Krishnamurthy, Sandeep & Ou, Shaosong & Tripathi, Arvind K., 2014. "Acceptance of monetary rewards in open source software development," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 632-644.
- Maha Shaikh & Emmanuelle Vaast, 2016. "Folding and Unfolding: Balancing Openness and Transparency in Open Source Communities," Information Systems Research, INFORMS, vol. 27(4), pages 813-833, December.
- Isabelle Liotard & Valerie Revest, 2021. "Open innovation and prizes: is the European Commission really committed?," LEM Papers Series 2021/14, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Michiel Bijlsma & Paul de Bijl & Viktoria Kocsis, 2009. "Concurrentie, innovatie en intellectuele eigendomsrechten in software markten," CPB Document 181, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Gallo, Julie Le & Plunket, Anne, 2020.
"Regional gatekeepers, inventor networks and inventive performance: Spatial and organizational channels,"
Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(5).
- Julie Le Gallo & Anne Plunket, 2020. "Regional gatekeepers, inventor networks and inventive performance: Spatial and organizational channels," Post-Print hal-02889468, HAL.
- Lee, Guenwoo & Suzuki, Aya, 2020. "Motivation for information exchange in a virtual community of practice: Evidence from a Facebook group for shrimp farmers," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 125(C).
- Michael Barrett & Eivor Oborn & Wanda Orlikowski, 2016. "Creating Value in Online Communities: The Sociomaterial Configuring of Strategy, Platform, and Stakeholder Engagement," Information Systems Research, INFORMS, vol. 27(4), pages 704-723, December.
- Satish Nambisan & Robert A. Baron, 2010. "Different Roles, Different Strokes: Organizing Virtual Customer Environments to Promote Two Types of Customer Contributions," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(2), pages 554-572, April.
- Dejean, Sylvain & Jullien, Nicolas, 2015.
"Big from the beginning: Assessing online contributors’ behavior by their first contribution,"
Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(6), pages 1226-1239.
- Sylvain Dejean & Nicolas Jullien, 2015. "Big from the beginning: Assessing online contributors' behavior by their first contribution," Post-Print hal-01162738, HAL.
- Celine Schulz & Stefan Wagner, 2010.
"Outlaw Community Innovations,"
World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Stephen Flowers & Flis Henwood (ed.), Perspectives On User Innovation, chapter 8, pages 191-210,
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Celine Schulz & Stefan Wagner, 2008. "Outlaw Community Innovations," International Journal of Innovation Management (ijim), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(03), pages 399-418.
- Riccardo Leoncini & Francesco Rentocchini & Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti, 2008. "You Won the Battle. What about the War? A Model of Competition between Proprietary and Open Source Software," Department of Economics Working Papers 0811, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
More about this item
KeywordsOpen source; community; leadership; social network; proximity; computer software;
All these keywords.
- D90 - Microeconomics - - Micro-Based Behavioral Economics - - - General
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CDM-2018-10-08 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-CSE-2018-10-08 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-PPM-2018-10-08 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-SOC-2018-10-08 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
- NEP-URE-2018-10-08 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hig:wpaper:84sti2018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/hsecoru.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Shamil Abdulaev or Shamil Abdulaev (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/hsecoru.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.