Prices and Constant Quality Price Indexes for Multi-Dwelling and Commercial Buildings in Sweden
The purpose of this paper is to estimate constant quality price trends and analysing factors determining market prices for MDCBs (multi-dwelling and commercial buildings) in Sweden. We use high quality data for housing and municipality attributes and our database consists of almost 8500 observations from the second half of 1995 to the end of 1998. Our econometric test indicates that standard housing and municipality attributes are important determinants to sales prices. We have also employed spatial econometric techniqes and have found that spatial specified regressions improved the explanatory power for the models. The estimated constant quality appreciation rates for all MDCBs differ significantly from those reported by Statistics Sweden. When the constant quality price trend is estimated on a yearly basis there are hardly any differences among the estimated parameters whether all MDCBs are in the sample or if the sample is split up into submarkets. However, estimating quarterly constant quality price trends gives another picture.
|Date of creation:||15 Oct 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Uppsala University, P. O. Box 513, SE-751 20 Uppsala, Sweden|
Phone: + 46 18 471 25 00
Fax: + 46 18 471 14 78
Web page: http://www.nek.uu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Englund, P. & Hendershott, P.H. & Turner, B., 1995. "The Tax Reform and the Housing Market," Papers 20, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Englund, Peter & Quigley, John M & Redfearn, Christian L, 1999. "The Choice of Methodology for Computing Housing Price Indexes: Comparisons of Temporal Aggregation and Sample Definition," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 91-112, September.
- Englund, Peter, 1999. "The Swedish Banking Crisis: Roots and Consequences," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 80-97, Autumn.
- Agell, J. & Berg, L. & Edin, P.A., 1995.
"Tax Reform, Consumption and Asset Structure,"
16, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Englund, Peter & Quigley, John M. & Redfearn, Christian L., 1998. "Improved Price Indexes for Real Estate: Measuring the Course of Swedish Housing Prices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 171-196, September.
- Berg, Lennart, 1994. "Household Savings and Debts: The Experience of the Nordic Countries," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 42-53, Summer.
- Hoesli, Martin & Giaccotto, Carmelo & Favarger, Philippe, 1997. "Three New Real Estate Price Indices for Geneva, Switzerland," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 93-109, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:uunewp:2002_002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarina Grönvall)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.