Tax reform of the Century - the Swedish Experiment
What can changes in tax structure accomplish? The Swedish tax reform of 1991 is the most far-reaching reform in any industrialized country in the post-war period. It represents a thorough application of a strategy of rate cuts cum base broadening, and it has affected a myriad of economic incentives in a more or less substantial way. This article reviews the lessons form a major evaluation effort, sponsored by the Swedish government, and involving a large number of researchers.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: UPPSALA UNIVERSITY, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS, S-751 20 UPPSALA SWEDEN.|
Phone: + 46 18 471 25 00
Fax: + 46 18 471 14 78
Web page: http://www.nek.uu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agell, Jonas & Edin, Per-Anders, 1990. " Marginal Taxes and the Asset Portfolios of Swedish Households," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(1), pages 47-64.
- Klevmarken, N.A. & Andersson, I. & Brose, P. & Gronqvist, E. & Olovsson, P. & Stotlenberg-Hansen, M., 1995. "Labor Supply Responses to Swedish Tax Reforms 1985-1992," Papers 11, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1976. "On the theory of tax reform," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 77-104.
- Calmfors, Lars, 1993.
"Lessons from the macroeconomic experience of Sweden,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 25-72, March.
- Calmfors, L., 1992. "Lessons from the Macroeconomic Experience of Sweden," Papers 522, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Joel Slemrod, 1992.
"Do Taxes Matter? Lessons From the 1980s,"
NBER Working Papers
4008, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Agell, J. & Berg, L. & Edin, P.A., 1995.
"Tax Reform, Consumption and Asset Structure,"
1995-17, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Berg, Lennart, 1994. "Household Savings and Debts: The Experience of the Nordic Countries," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 42-53, Summer.
- Caballero, Ricardo J, 1991. "Earnings Uncertainty and Aggregate Wealth Accumulation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 859-71, September.
- Södersten, Jan, 1986.
"The Investment Funds System Reconsidered,"
Working Paper Series
174, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised Jan 1988.
- Klevmarken, Anders, 1997. "Did the Tax Cuts Increase Hours of Work? A Pre-Post Analysis of Swedish Panel Data," Working Paper Series 1997:21, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Hultkrantz,L., 1995. "On Determinants of Swedish Recreational Domestic and Outbound Travel,1989-1993," Papers 7, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"Intertemporal Substitution in Consumption,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 339-57, April.
- Englund, P. & Hendershott, P.H. & Turner, B., 1995. "The Tax Reform and the Housing Market," Papers 20, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1979.
"Wealth Maximization and the Cost of Capital,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 93(3), pages 433-446.
- Peter Birch Soerensen, . "Changing Views of the Corporate Income Tax," EPRU Working Paper Series 95-05, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Sodersten, Jan, 1994. "Costs of monitoring and corporate taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 307-321, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:uppaal:1996-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.