Macroeconomic Conditions and Capital Raising
Economic theory, as well as commonly-stated views of practitioners, suggests that macroeconomic conditions can affect both the ability and manner in which firms raise external financing. Theory suggests that downturns should be associated with a shift toward less information-sensitive securities, as well as a ‘flight to quality,’ in which firms can issue high-rated securities but not low-rated ones. We evaluate these hypotheses on a large sample of publicly-traded debt issues, seasoned equity offers, and bank loans. We find that worse macroeconomic conditions lead firms to use less information-sensitive securities. In addition, poor market conditions affect the structure of securities offered, shifting them towards shorter maturities and more security. Furthermore, market conditions affect the quality of securities offered, with worsening conditions substantially lowering the number of low-rated debt issues. Overall, these findings suggest that macroeconomic conditions are important factors in firms’ capital raising decisions.
|Date of creation:||17 Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:||26 Oct 2011|
|Note:||Please find updated version on http://fisher.osu.edu/fin/faculty/weisbach/wpapers.html|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.sifr.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cara S. Lown & Donald P. Morgan & Sonali Rohatgi, 2000. "Listening to loan officers: the impact of commercial credit standards on lending and output," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jul, pages 1-16.
- Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo & Weisbach, Michael S., 2008.
"Corporate Financial and Investment Policies When Future Financing Is Not Frictionless,"
Working Paper Series
2008-16, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo & Weisbach, Michael S., 2011. "Corporate financial and investment policies when future financing is not frictionless," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 675-693, June.
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello & Michael S. Weisbach, 2006. "Corporate Financial and Investment Policies when Future Financing is not Frictionless," NBER Working Papers 12773, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dittmar, Amy K. & Dittmar, Robert F., 2008. "The timing of financing decisions: An examination of the correlation in financing waves," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 59-83, October.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J & Fulghieri, Paolo, 1994.
"Reputation, Renegotiation, and the Choice between Bank Loans and Publicly Traded Debt,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(3), pages 475-506.
- Chemmanur, T.J. & Fulghieri, P., 1992. "Reputation, Renegotiation, and the Choice Between Bank Loans and Publicity Traded Debt," Papers 92-24, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1994.
"Monetary Policy, Business Cycles, and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 309-40, May.
- Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1993. "Monetary Policy, Business Cycles and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms," Working Papers 93-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1993. "Monetary policy, business cycles and the behavior of small manufacturing firms," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 93-4, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1992. "Monetary Policy, Business Cycles and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms," Working Papers 92-08, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1991. "Monetary Policy, Business Cycles and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms," NBER Working Papers 3892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Malcolm Baker, 2009. "Capital Market-Driven Corporate Finance," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 181-205, November.
- Woojin Kim & Michael S. Weisbach, 2005.
"Motivations for Public Equity Offers: An International Perspective,"
NBER Working Papers
11797, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kim, Woojin & Weisbach, Michael S., 2008. "Motivations for public equity offers: An international perspective," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 281-307, February.
- Repullo,R. & Suarez,J., 1996.
"Entrepreneurial Moral Hazard and Bank Monitoring: A Model of the Credit Channel,"
9604, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Repullo, Rafael & Suarez, Javier, 2000. "Entrepreneurial moral hazard and bank monitoring: A model of the credit channel," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(10), pages 1931-1950, December.
- Repullo, Rafael & Suarez, Javier, 1999. "Entrepreneurial Moral Hazard and Bank Monitoring: A Model of the Credit Channel," CEPR Discussion Papers 2060, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rafael Repullo & Javier Suarez, 1999. "Entrepreneurial moral hazard and bank monitoring: a model of the credit channel," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 129, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jo�O A. C. Santos & Andrew Winton, 2008. "Bank Loans, Bonds, and Information Monopolies across the Business Cycle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(3), pages 1315-1359, 06.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1993. "The Choice Between Public and Private Debt: An Analysis of Post-Deregulation Corporate Financing in Japan," NBER Working Papers 4421, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sudheer Chava & Michael R. Roberts, 2008. "How Does Financing Impact Investment? The Role of Debt Covenants," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(5), pages 2085-2121, October.
- Zhang, Zhipeng, 2009. "Recovery Rates and Macroeconomic Conditions: The Role of Loan Covenants," MPRA Paper 17521, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dimitri Vayanos, 2004.
"Flight to quality, flight to liquidity, and the pricing of risk,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
456, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Dimitri Vayanos, 2004. "Flight to Quality, Flight to Liquidity, and the Pricing of Risk," NBER Working Papers 10327, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Korajczyk, Robert A. & Levy, Amnon, 2003. "Capital structure choice: macroeconomic conditions and financial constraints," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 75-109, April.
- Flannery, Mark J, 1986. " Asymmetric Information and Risky Debt Maturity Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(1), pages 19-37, March.
- Joshua D. Rauh & Amir Sufi, 2008.
"Capital Structure and Debt Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
14488, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:sifrwp:0074. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anki Helmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.