Price Setting Transactions and the Role of Denominating Currency in FX Markets
This report, commissioned by Sveriges Riksbank, examines the role of currency denomination in international trade transactions. It is divided in two parts. The first part consists of a survey of the price setting and payment practices of a large sample of Swedish exporting firms. The second part analyzes payments data from the Swedish settlement reports from 1999-2002. We examine whether invoicing patterns of Swedish and European companies changed following the creation of the EMU and how the currency denomination of exports differ from that of imports. Finally we consider the possibility that changes in invoicing patterns are correlated with changes in nominal exchange rates. Our main finding is that the same currency to a large extent is used for price setting, invoicing and payment for exports to third parties. We also find that the currency of the customer is the most used and that the euro is replacing the Swedish krona both in transactions with EMU-member countries but outside the EMU. Finally we find some evidence of a weak correlation between aggregate changes in invoicing patterns and changes in the trade weighted exchange rate over the period 1999-2002.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Sveriges Riksbank, SE-103 37 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: 08 - 787 00 00
Fax: 08-21 05 31
Web page: http://www.riksbank.com/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cook, David & Devereux, Michael B., 2006.
"External currency pricing and the East Asian crisis,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 37-63, June.
- Cook, David & Devereux, Michael B, 2004. "External Currency Pricing and the East Asian Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 4642, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael B. Devereux & Charles Engel, 2003.
"Monetary Policy in the Open Economy Revisited: Price Setting and Exchange-Rate Flexibility,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 70(4), pages 765-783.
- Michael Devereux & Charles Engel, 2000. "Monetary Policy in the Open Economy Revisited: Price Setting and Exchange Rate Flexibiity," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 0016, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Michael B. Devereux & Charles Engel, 2000. "Monetary Policy in the Open Economy Revisited: Price Setting and Exchange Rate Flexibility," Working Papers 042000, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Michael B. Devereux & Charles Engel, 2000. "Monetary Policy in the Open Economy Revisited: Price Setting and Exchange Rate Flexibility," NBER Working Papers 7665, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Devereux & Charles Engel, 2000. "Monetary Policy in the Open Economy Revisited: Price Setting and Exchange Rate Flexibiity," Working Papers 0016, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Donnenfeld, S. & Zilcha, I., 1989.
"Pricing Of Exports And Exchange Rate Uncertainty,"
12-89, Tel Aviv.
- Duarte, Margarida & Obstfeld, Maurice, 2008.
"Monetary policy in the open economy revisited: The case for exchange-rate flexibility restored,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 949-957, October.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Duarte, Margarida, 2005. "Monetary Policy in the Open Economy Revisited: The Case for Exchange-Rate Flexibility Restored," 2005 Meeting Papers 386, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Devereux, Michael B. & Engel, Charles, 2002.
"Exchange rate pass-through, exchange rate volatility, and exchange rate disconnect,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(5), pages 913-940, July.
- Michael B. Devereux & Charles Engel, 2002. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through, Exchange Rate Volatility, and Exchange Rate Disconnect," NBER Working Papers 8858, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M.B. Devereux & Ch. Engel, 2003. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through, Exchange Rate Volatility, and ExchangeRate Disconnect," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 77, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Mark Bils & Peter J. Klenow, 2004.
"Some Evidence on the Importance of Sticky Prices,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(5), pages 947-985, October.
- Donnenfeld, Shabtai & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1994.
"Bargaining in international trade under exchange rate uncertainty,"
Discussion Papers, Series II
215, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Donnenfeld, Shabtai & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1995. "Bargaining in International Trade under Exchange-Rate Uncertainty," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 249-63, October.
- Donnenfeld, S. & Zilcha, I., 1993. "Barganing in International Trade under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," Papers 13-93, Tel Aviv.
- Shabtai Donnenfeld & Alfred Haug, 2003. "Currency Invoicing in International Trade: an Empirical Investigation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 332-345, 05.
- Charles Engel, 2003.
"Expenditure Switching and Exchange-Rate Policy,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2002, Volume 17, pages 231-300
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dominguez, Kathryn M., 1998.
"The Dollar Exposure of Japanese Companies,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 388-405, December.
- Betts, Caroline & Devereux, Michael B., 1996. "The exchange rate in a model of pricing-to-market," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1007-1021, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:rbnkwp:0201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lena Löfgren)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.