Inflation Targeting and the Dynamics of the Transmission Mechanism
This paper derives closed-form expressions for optimal monetary policy rules when the central bank can influence inflation directly with a one-period lag as well as a two-period lagged effect via the output gap. It turns out that even a modest one-period inflation effect from monetary policy actions has substantial implications for monetary policy that also seem to be a step towards increased realism. For instance, in models where the central bank only can affect inflation with a two-period lag via the output gap, policy becomes more aggressive and the output gap exhibits a tendency to switch sign frequently. This unrealistic oscillating feature can be avoided by allowing the central bank to influence inflation with a one-period lag. The model also illustrates that the nature of empirical (or reduced-form) Phillips curves may reflect monetary policy and the observation that the Phillips curve in recent years has become flatter can in this model be explained by a more counter-cyclical monetary policy.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2002|
|Date of revision:||01 Jul 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 08 - 787 00 00
Fax: 08-21 05 31
Web page: http://www.riksbank.com/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adolfson, Malin, 2001.
"Monetary Policy with Incomplete Exchange Rate Pass-Through,"
Working Paper Series
127, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Adolfson, Malin, 2001. "Monetary Policy with Incomplete Exchange Rate Pass-Through," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 476, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1997.
"Inflation Targeting: Some Extensions,"
625, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1998.
"Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule,"
646, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," CEPR Discussion Papers 1998, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," Papers 646, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1998. "Inflation targeting as a monetary policy rule," CFS Working Paper Series 1998/16, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," NBER Working Papers 6790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nessen, Marianne & Soderstrom, Ulf, 2001.
"Core Inflation and Monetary Policy,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 401-39, Winter.
- Clarida, R. & Gali, J. & Gertler, M., 1999.
"The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective,"
99-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Mark Gertler & Jordi Gali & Richard Clarida, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 2139, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," NBER Working Papers 7147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1997. "The science of monetary policy: A new Keynesian perspective," Economics Working Papers 356, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 1999.
- Orphanides, Athanasios & Wieland, Volker, 1999.
"Inflation zone targeting,"
Working Paper Series
0008, European Central Bank.
- Linde, Jesper, 2005.
"Estimating New-Keynesian Phillips curves: A full information maximum likelihood approach,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 1135-1149, September.
- Lindé, Jesper, 2001. "Estimating New-Keynesian Phillips Curves: A Full Information Maximum Likelihood Approach," Working Paper Series 129, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden), revised 30 Apr 2001.
- Nessen, Marianne, 2002.
"Targeting inflation over the short, medium and long term,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 313-329, September.
- Nessén, Marianne, 1999. "Targeting Inflation over the Short, Medium and Long Term," Working Paper Series 98, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Doyle, Matthew & Beaudry, Paul, 2000. "What Happened to the Phillips Curve in the 1990s in Canada," Staff General Research Papers 10286, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:rbnkwp:0141. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lena Löfgren)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.