Measurement of Returns to Scale Using Non-Radial DEA Models
There are some specific features of the non-radial DEA (data envelopment analysis) models which cause some problems under the returns to scale measurement. In the scientific literature on DEA, some methods were suggested to deal with the returns to scale measurement in the non-radial DEA models. These methods are based on using Strong Complementary Slackness Conditions in the optimization theory. However, our investigation and computational experiments show that such methods increase computational complexity significantly and may generate “strange” results. In this paper, we propose and substantiate a direct method for the returns to scale measurement in the non-radial DEA models. Our computational experiments documented that the proposed method works reliably and efficiently on the real-life data sets.
|Date of creation:||07 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as Krivonozhko, Vladimir E., Finn R. Førsund and Andrey V. Lychev, 'Measurement of Returns to Scale Using Non-Radial DEA Models' in european journal of operational research, 2014, pages 664-670.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Sekitani, Kazuyuki, 2007. "Measurement of returns to scale using a non-radial DEA model: A range-adjusted measure approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(3), pages 1918-1946, February.
- Krivonozhko, Vladimir & R. Førsund, Finn & V. Lychev, Andrey, 2011.
"A Note on Imposing Strong Complementary Slackness Conditions in DEA,"
17/2010, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Krivonozhko, Vladimir E. & Førsund, Finn R. & Lychev, Andrey V., 2012. "A note on imposing strong complementary slackness conditions in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(3), pages 716-721.
- Krivonozhko, Vladimir & Førsund, Finn R., 2009.
"Returms-to-scale Properties in DEA Models: The Fundamental Role of Interior Points,"
15/2009, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Vladimir Krivonozhko & Finn Førsund & Andrey Lychev, 2012. "Returns-to-scale properties in DEA models: the fundamental role of interior points," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 121-130, October.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Cooper, William W. & Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M. & Zhu, Joe, 2004. "Returns to scale in different DEA models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 345-362, April.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Sekitani, Kazuyuki, 2009. "An occurrence of multiple projections in DEA-based measurement of technical efficiency: Theoretical comparison among DEA models from desirable properties," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 764-794, July.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Kittelsen, Sverre A. & Krivonozhko, Vladimir E., 2007. "Farrell Revisited: Visualising the DEA Production Frontier," Memorandum 15/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Finn Førsund & Lennart Hjalmarsson & Vladimir Krivonozhko & Oleg Utkin, 2007. "Calculation of scale elasticities in DEA models: direct and indirect approaches," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 45-56, October.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Thrall, R. M., 1992. "Estimation of returns to scale using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 74-84, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:osloec:2012_029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rhiana Bergh-Seeley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.