A Note on Imposing Strong Complementary Slackness Conditions in DEA
A new DEA model has been introduced recently combining the primal and the dual models in order to impose strong complementary slackness conditions. It was claimed that a reference set that contains the maximum number of efficient units can then be determined. The model is very interesting as a theoretical idea. However, not only does the computational burden increase significantly, but it seems also that the basic matrices may be inherently ill-conditioned, leading to wrong results. Numerical experiments have been carried out on two real datasets of medium size with 163 and 920 units. These experiments show pervasive existence of ill-conditioned matrices leading to obviously wrong estimates of efficiency scores, and units declared as efficient reference units while actually being inefficient.
|Date of creation:||03 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as Krivonozhko, Vladimir, Finn R. Førsund and Andrey V. Lychev, 'A Note on Imposing Strong Complementary Slackness Conditions in DEA' in european journal of operational research, 2012, pages 716-721.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, University of Oslo, P.O Box 1095 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vladimir Krivonozhko & Finn Førsund & Andrey Lychev, 2012.
"Returns-to-scale properties in DEA models: the fundamental role of interior points,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 121-130, October.
- Krivonozhko, Vladimir & Førsund, Finn R., 2009. "Returms-to-scale Properties in DEA Models: The Fundamental Role of Interior Points," Memorandum 15/2009, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Goto, Mika, 2010. "Measurement of a linkage among environmental, operational, and financial performance in Japanese manufacturing firms: A use of Data Envelopment Analysis with strong complementary slackness condition," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1742-1753, December.
- Finn Førsund & Lennart Hjalmarsson & Vladimir Krivonozhko & Oleg Utkin, 2007. "Calculation of scale elasticities in DEA models: direct and indirect approaches," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 45-56, October.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Sekitani, Kazuyuki, 2009. "An occurrence of multiple projections in DEA-based measurement of technical efficiency: Theoretical comparison among DEA models from desirable properties," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 764-794, July.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Sekitani, Kazuyuki, 2007. "Measurement of returns to scale using a non-radial DEA model: A range-adjusted measure approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(3), pages 1918-1946, February.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Sekitani, Kazuyuki, 2007. "The measurement of returns to scale under a simultaneous occurrence of multiple solutions in a reference set and a supporting hyperplane," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(2), pages 549-570, September.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Kittelsen, Sverre A. & Krivonozhko, Vladimir E., 2007. "Farrell Revisited: Visualising the DEA Production Frontier," Memorandum 15/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:osloec:2010_017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Magnus Gabriel Aase)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.