A Note on Imposing Strong Complementary Slackness Conditions in DEA
A new DEA model has been introduced recently combining the primal and the dual models in order to impose strong complementary slackness conditions. It was claimed that a reference set that contains the maximum number of efficient units can then be determined. The model is very interesting as a theoretical idea. However, not only does the computational burden increase significantly, but it seems also that the basic matrices may be inherently ill-conditioned, leading to wrong results. Numerical experiments have been carried out on two real datasets of medium size with 163 and 920 units. These experiments show pervasive existence of ill-conditioned matrices leading to obviously wrong estimates of efficiency scores, and units declared as efficient reference units while actually being inefficient.
|Date of creation:||03 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as Krivonozhko, Vladimir, Finn R. Førsund and Andrey V. Lychev, 'A Note on Imposing Strong Complementary Slackness Conditions in DEA' in european journal of operational research, 2012, pages 716-721.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, University of Oslo, P.O Box 1095 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krivonozhko, Vladimir & Førsund, Finn R., 2009.
"Returms-to-scale Properties in DEA Models: The Fundamental Role of Interior Points,"
15/2009, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Vladimir Krivonozhko & Finn Førsund & Andrey Lychev, 2012. "Returns-to-scale properties in DEA models: the fundamental role of interior points," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 121-130, October.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Kittelsen, Sverre A. & Krivonozhko, Vladimir E., 2007. "Farrell Revisited: Visualising the DEA Production Frontier," Memorandum 15/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Sekitani, Kazuyuki, 2007. "Measurement of returns to scale using a non-radial DEA model: A range-adjusted measure approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(3), pages 1918-1946, February.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Sekitani, Kazuyuki, 2007. "The measurement of returns to scale under a simultaneous occurrence of multiple solutions in a reference set and a supporting hyperplane," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(2), pages 549-570, September.
- Finn Førsund & Lennart Hjalmarsson & Vladimir Krivonozhko & Oleg Utkin, 2007. "Calculation of scale elasticities in DEA models: direct and indirect approaches," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 45-56, October.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Goto, Mika, 2010. "Measurement of a linkage among environmental, operational, and financial performance in Japanese manufacturing firms: A use of Data Envelopment Analysis with strong complementary slackness condition," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1742-1753, December.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Sekitani, Kazuyuki, 2009. "An occurrence of multiple projections in DEA-based measurement of technical efficiency: Theoretical comparison among DEA models from desirable properties," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 764-794, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:osloec:2010_017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Magnus Gabriel Aase)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Magnus Gabriel Aase to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.