On the estimation of correlations for irregularly spaced time series
In this paper, the problem of calculating covariances and correlations between time series which are observed irregularly and at different points in time, is treated. The problem of dependence between the time stamp process and the return process is especially highlighted and the solution to this problem for a special case is given. Furthermore, estimators based on different interpolation methods are investigated. The covariances are in turn used to estimate a simple regression on such data. In particular, the difference of first order integrated processes, I(1) processes, are considered. These methods are relevant for stock returns and consequently of importance in e.g. portfolio optimization.
|Date of creation:||06 Jul 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +47 55 95 92 93
Fax: +47 55 95 96 50
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/en/research-faculty/department-of-business-and-management-science.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Jong, Frank & Nijman, Theo, 1997.
"High frequency analysis of lead-lag relationships between financial markets,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 259-277, June.
- de Jong, F.C.J.M. & Nijman, T.E., 1995. "High frequency analysis of lead-lag relationships between financial markets," Discussion Paper 1995-34, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Nijman, T.E. & de Jong, F.C.J.M., 1997. "High frequency analysis of lead-lag relationships between financial markets," Other publications TiSEM f4f406a0-771a-4af2-9364-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- De Jong, Frank & Mahieu, Ronald & Schotman, Peter, 1998. "Price discovery in the foreign exchange market: an empirical analysis of the yen/dmark rate1, 2," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 5-27, February.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-74206 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:nhhfms:2007_019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stein Fossen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.