Jump Dynamics: The Equity Premium and the Risk-Free Rate Puzzles
The paper develops a consumption based equilibrium model, focusing on the risk premium and the risk-free interest rate. We derive testable expressions for these quantities, and confront these with sample estimates for the 20. century. Our framework is a dynamic model in continuous time, allowing for random jumps at random time points, in addition to diffusion uncertainty. Preferences are time separable and additive. The classical equity premium puzzle and the risk-free rate puzzle are re-examined. We present values for the parameters of the representative agent's utility function for different values of risk premia and interest rates, calibrated to two first moments of the US-data of the last century. Relatively low values for agents' risk aversion are consistent with the model, but positive values of the subjective interest rate seem harder to fit.
|Date of creation:||21 Oct 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NHH, Department of Business and Management Science, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway|
Phone: +47 55 95 92 93
Fax: +47 55 95 96 50
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/en/research-faculty/department-of-business-and-management-science.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Mehra & E. Prescott, 2010.
"The equity premium: a puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1401, David K. Levine.
- M. S. Feldstein, 1969. "Mean-Variance Analysis in the Theory of Liquidity Preference and Portfolio Selection," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(1), pages 5-12.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2003.
"Average Debt and Equity Returns: Puzzling?,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
506439000000000367, David K. Levine.
- Knut K. Aase, 1993. "A Jump/Diffusion Consumption-Based Capital Asset Pricing Model and the Equity Premium Puzzle," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 65-84.
- Aase, Knut K., 1993. "Continuous trading in an exchange economy under discontinuous dynamics: A resolution of the equity premium puzzle," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(Supplemen), pages 3-28.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990.
"Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1991. "Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 225-262, April.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990. "Implications of security market data for models of dynamic economies," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 29, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Xiaohong Chen & Sydney C. Ludvigson, 2009.
"Land of addicts? an empirical investigation of habit-based asset pricing models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(7), pages 1057-1093.
- Sydney Ludvigson & Xiaohong Chen, 2004. "Land of Addicts? An Empirical Investigation of Habit-Based Asset Pricing Models," 2004 Meeting Papers 692, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Rietz, Thomas A., 1988. "The equity risk premium a solution," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 117-131, July.
- G. Constantinides, 1990.
"Habit formation: a resolution of the equity premium puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1397, David K. Levine.
- Constantinides, George M, 1990. "Habit Formation: A Resolution of the Equity Premium Puzzle," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 519-543, June.
- Philippe Weil, 1989.
"The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Riskfree Rate Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
2829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Weil, Philippe, 1989. "The equity premium puzzle and the risk-free rate puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 401-421, November.
- Phillippe Weil, 1997. "The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Risk-Free Rate Puzzle," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1833, David K. Levine.
- James Tobin, 1969. "Comment on Borch and Feldstein," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(1), pages 13-14.
- Olivier Allais, 2004. "Local Substitution and Habit Persistence: Matching the Moments of the Equity Premium and the Risk-Free Rate," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(2), pages 265-296, April.
- Sundaresan, Suresh M, 1989. "Intertemporally Dependent Preferences and the Volatility of Consumption and Wealth," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 2(1), pages 73-89.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-1445, November.
- Detemple, Jerome B & Zapatero, Fernando, 1991. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy with Habit Formation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1633-1657, November.
- K. Borch, 1969. "A Note on Uncertainty and Indifference Curves," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(1), pages 1-4.
- Knut K. Aase, 2002. "Equilibrium Pricing in the Presence of Cumulative Dividends Following a Diffusion," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 173-198.
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1988. "The equity risk premium: A solution?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 133-136, July.
- Aase, Knut K. & Øksendal, Bernt, 1988. "Admissible investment strategies in continuous trading," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 291-301, December.
- Haug, Jorgen, 2001. "Explicit characterizations of financial prices with history-dependent utility," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 337-356, December.
- Salyer, Kevin D., 1998. "Crash states and the equity premium: Solving one puzzle raises another," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 955-965, June.
- Back, Kerry, 1991. "Asset pricing for general processes," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 371-395.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:nhhfms:2004_012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stein Fossen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.