Nonlinear Pricing and the Utility Possibility Set
We consider nonlinear pricing policies that are designed by a social welfare maximizer who operates under a non-negative profit requirement. In our two-type economy, we characterize the set of all feasible nonlinear pricing policies and the frontier of the utility possibility set. Our results provide a link between distortion in consumption and individual, as well as, social welfare.
|Date of creation:||04 Mar 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, School of Economics and Management, Lund University, Box 7082, S-220 07 Lund,Sweden|
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz, 2002.
" Nonlinear Pricing, Redistribution, and Optimal Tax Policy,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 4(2), pages 139-61.
- Cremer, H. & Gahvari, F., 1996. "Nonlinear Pricing, Redistribution and Optimal Tax Policy," Papers 95.393, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Sharkey, William W. & Sibley, David S., 1993. "Optimal non-linear pricing with regulatory preference over customer type," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 197-229, February.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1694 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eric Maskin & John Riley, 1984. "Monopoly with Incomplete Information," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(2), pages 171-196, Summer.
- Alfons J. Weichenrieder, 2004. "Second degree price discrimination and natural monopoly," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 189-200, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:lunewp:2005_019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.