Cross-border knowledge flows through R&D FDI: Implications for low- and middle-income countries
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Qu, Zhe & Huang, Can & Zhang, Mingqian & Zhao, Yanyun, 2013. "R&D offshoring, technology learning and R&D efforts of host country firms in emerging economies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 502-516.
- Amendolagine, Vito & Presbitero, Andrea F. & Rabellotti, Roberta & Sanfilippo, Marco, 2019. "Local sourcing in developing countries: The role of foreign direct investments and global value chains," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 113(C), pages 73-88.
- Lema, Rasmus & Quadros, Ruy & Schmitz, Hubert, 2015. "Reorganising global value chains and building innovation capabilities in Brazil and India," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1376-1386.
- Jos� Guim�n & Juan Carlos Salazar-Elena, 2015. "Collaboration in Innovation Between Foreign Subsidiaries and Local Universities: Evidence from Spain," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(6), pages 445-466, August.
- Rajneesh Narula & John Dunning, 2010.
"Multinational Enterprises, Development and Globalization: Some Clarifications and a Research Agenda,"
Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 263-287.
- Narula R. & Dunning J.H., 2009. "Multinational enterprises, development and globalisation: some clarifications and a research agenda," MERIT Working Papers 2009-023, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Rasmus Lema & Roberta Rabellotti & Padmashree Gehl Sampath, 2018. "Innovation Trajectories in Developing Countries: Co-evolution of Global Value Chains and Innovation Systems," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan;European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), vol. 30(3), pages 345-363, July.
- Gautam Ahuja & Riitta Katila, 2001. "Technological acquisitions and the innovation performance of acquiring firms: a longitudinal study," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 197-220, March.
- Riccardo Crescenzi & Alexander Jaax, 2017.
"Innovation in Russia: The Territorial Dimension,"
Economic Geography, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 93(1), pages 66-88, January.
- Riccardo Crescenzi & Alexander Jaax, 2015. "Innovation in Russia: the territorial dimension," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1509, Utrecht University, Department of Human Geography and Spatial Planning, Group Economic Geography, revised Apr 2015.
- Crescenzi, Riccardo & Jaax, Alexander, 2017. "Innovation in Russia: the territorial dimension," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 66948, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- John W. Medcof, 2007. "Subsidiary Technology Upgrading and International Technology Transfer, with Reference to China," Asia Pacific Business Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 451-469, July.
- Dachs, Bernhard, 2017. "Internationalisation of R&D: A Review of Drivers, Impacts, and new Lines of Research," MPRA Paper 83367, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pietrobelli, Carlo & Rabellotti, Roberta, 2011.
"Global Value Chains Meet Innovation Systems: Are There Learning Opportunities for Developing Countries?,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 1261-1269, July.
- Pietrobelli, Carlo & Rabellotti, Roberta, 2011. "Global Value Chains Meet Innovation Systems : Are There Learning Opportunities for Developing Countries?," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 2178, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Rene Belderbos & Leo Sleuwaegen & Dieter Somers & Koen De Backer, 2016.
"Where to Locate Innovative Activities in Global Value Chains: Does Co-location Matter?,"
OECD Science, Technology and Industry Policy Papers
30, OECD Publishing.
- Rene Belderbos & Leo Sleuwaegen & Dieter Somers & Koen De Backer, 2016. "Where to Locate Innovative Activities in Global Value Chains: Does Co-location Matter?," Working Papers of Department of Management, Strategy and Innovation, Leuven 547174, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB), Department of Management, Strategy and Innovation, Leuven.
- Rene Belderbos & Leo Sleuwaegen & Dieter Somers & Koen De Backer, 2016. "Where to Locate Innovative Activities in Global Value Chains. Does Co-location Matter?," Working Papers of Department of Management, Strategy and Innovation, Leuven 552861, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB), Department of Management, Strategy and Innovation, Leuven.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik, 2004.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers Through Backward Linkages,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 605-627, June.
- Smarzynska, Beata K., 2002. "Does foreign direct investment increase the productivity of domestic firms : in search of spillovers through backward linkages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2923, The World Bank.
- Beata K. Smarzynska, 2003. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers through Backward Linkages," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 548, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Cristina Chaminade & Claudia De Fuentes & Gouya Harirchi & Monica Plechero, 2016.
"The geography and structure of global innovation networks: global scope and regional embeddedness,"
Chapters, in: Richard Shearmu & Christophe Carrincazeaux & David Doloreux (ed.),Handbook on the Geographies of Innovation, chapter 22, pages 370-381,
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Chaminade , Cristina & De Fuentes , Claudia & Harirchi , Gouya & Plechero , Monica, 2015. "The Geography and Structure of Global Innovation Networks: Global Scope and Regional Embeddedness," Papers in Innovation Studies 2015/31, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Lorena M. D’Agostino & Grazia D. Santangelo, 2012. "Do Overseas R&D Laboratories in Emerging Markets Contribute to Home Knowledge Creation?," Management International Review, Springer, vol. 52(2), pages 251-273, April.
- Reddy, Prasada, 1997. "New trends in globalization of corporate R&D and implications for innovation capability in host countries: A survey from India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(11), pages 1821-1837, November.
- Kafouros, Mario I. & Buckley, Peter J. & Clegg, Jeremy, 2012. "The effects of global knowledge reservoirs on the productivity of multinational enterprises: The role of international depth and breadth," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 848-861.
- Yun-Chung Chen, 2008. "Why Do Multinational Corporations Locate Their Advanced R&D Centres in Beijing?," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(5), pages 622-644.
- Guimón, José & Chaminade, Cristina & Maggi, Claudio & Salazar-Elena, Juan Carlos, 2018. "Policies to Attract R&D-related FDI in Small Emerging Countries: Aligning Incentives With Local Linkages and Absorptive Capacities in Chile," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 165-178.
- Abramovitz, Moses, 1986. "Catching Up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(2), pages 385-406, June.
- Ram Mudambi & Rajneesh Narula & Grazia D. Santangelo, 2018. "Location, collocation and innovation by multinational enterprises: a research agenda," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(3), pages 229-241, March.
- Anthony Goerzen & Christian Geisler Asmussen & Bo Bernhard Nielsen, 2013. "Global cities and multinational enterprise location strategy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 44(5), pages 427-450, June.
- Riccardo Crescenzi & Andrés Rodríguez‐Pose, 2017. "The Geography of Innovation in China and India," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(6), pages 1010-1027, November.
- Vito Amendolagine & Elisa Giuliani & Arianna Martinelli & Roberta Rabellotti, 2018. "Chinese and Indian MNEs’ shopping spree in advanced countries. How good is it for their innovative output?," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(5), pages 1149-1176.
- Benno Buehler & Daniel Coublucq & Cyril Hariton & Gregor Langus & Tommaso Valletti, 2017. "Recent Developments at DG Competition: 2016/2017," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 51(4), pages 397-422, December.
- John Cantwell, 2017. "Innovation and international business," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(1), pages 41-60, January.
More about this item
KeywordsForeign Direct Investment; Technology driven FDI; International technology transfer; South-South FDI; Developing countries; Less developed countries; Emerging Economies; Innovation policy;
- O19 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
- O24 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Trade Policy; Factor Movement; Foreign Exchange Policy
- O32 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O57 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CSE-2019-06-10 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2019-06-10 (Innovation)
- NEP-INT-2019-06-10 (International Trade)
- NEP-KNM-2019-06-10 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2019-06-10 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-TID-2019-06-10 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:lucirc:2019_009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Torben Schubert). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/circlse.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.