Physical Planning in Place-Making through Design and Image Building
This paper discusses how physical planning works with place-making through urban design to support image creation in a municipality that aims to create a new image for its city. Two large-scale urban development projects in Sweden are analysed. The analysis focuses on official plans and documentation, and expert interviews. It distinguishes how place-making by physical planning happens through aestheticisation, the design of physical environments for specific groups of inhabitants, and by granting visual and symbolic coherence to an area aligned with the new image for the city. The construction of this image is kick-started by a flagship development, but requires that subsequent projects support complementing urban visions, so as to grant coherence to the perceptions of the new image. In the process, heterogeneity, variation and conflict are tamed and urbanity is framed for “creative classes”. The paper thus highlights potential dilemmas that place-making might create for the practice of physical planning in urban development, and contributes to the discussions on the transformation of public sector urban planning in contexts of urban entrepreneurialism..
|Date of creation:||18 Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CIRCLE, Lund University, PO Box 117, SE-22100 Lund, Sweden|
Phone: +46 (0) 46 222 74 68
Web page: http://www.circle.lu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Hamnett & Drew Whitelegg, 2007.
"Loft Conversion and Gentrification in London: From Industrial to Postindustrial Land Use,"
Environment and Planning A,
SAGE Publishing, vol. 39(1), pages 106-124, January.
- Chris Hamnett & Drew Whitelegg, 2007. "Loft conversion and gentrification in London: from industrial to postindustrial land use," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 39(1), pages 106-124, January.
- Tetsuya Shimomura & Tadashi Matsumoto, 2010. "Policies to Enhance the Physical Urban Environment for Competitiveness: A New Partnership between Public and Private Sectors," OECD Regional Development Working Papers 2010/1, OECD Publishing.
- Edward L. Glaeser, Jed Kolko, and Albert Saiz, 2001.
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 27-50, January.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Jed Kolko & Albert Saiz, 2000. "Consumer City," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1901, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ed Glaeser & Jed Kolko & Albert Saiz, 2000. "Consumer City," NBER Working Papers 7790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas A Hutton, 2006. "Spatiality, built form, and creative industry development in the inner city," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 38(10), pages 1819-1841, October.
- Jamie Peck, 2005. "Struggling with the Creative Class," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 740-770, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:lucirc:2013_037. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Torben Schubert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.