Comparative Advantage, Terms of Trade and Welfare Effects of European Integration: Some Preliminary Assessments
The paper presents a first attempt at assessing general equilibrium effects of 1992. Two kinds of general equilibrium effects are relevant: one (dampening) effect stemming from the common resource constraints, the other one related to the fact that the relative competitiveness of industries may be altered as a consequence of the integration. This paper focuses on the second type of general equilibrium effects, and the results show that there may be additional gains for the EC stemming from terms-of-trade improvements and reduced dependence on subsidized and protected industries. The paper also presents general equilibrium assessments for Norway, under various assumptions regarding Norwegian participation in the integration process.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Research Institute of Industrial Economics, Box 55665, SE-102 15 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan I. Haaland, 1990. "Assessing the Effects of EC Integration on EFTA Countries: the Position of Norway and Sweden," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(4), pages 379-400, 06.
- Richard Baldwin, 1989. "The Growth Effects of 1992," NBER Working Papers 3119, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, Alasdair & Venables, Anthony J, 1988.
"Completing the Internal Market in the European Community: Some Industry Simulations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
233, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Smith, Alasdair & Venables, Anthony J., 1988. "Completing the internal market in the European Community : Some industry simulations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1501-1525, September.
- Haaland, Jan I, et al, 1987. " VEMOD: A Ricardo-Heckscher-Ohlin-Jones Model of World Trade," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(3), pages 251-70.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:iuiwop:0272. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.