Simulation-based finite-sample linearity test against smooth transition models
In this paper we use Monte Carlo testing techniques for testing linearity against the smooth transition models. The Monte Carlo approach allows us to introduce a new test that differs from the tests existing in the literature in two respects. First, the test is exact in the sense that the probability of rejecting the null when it is true is always less that or equal to the nominal size of the test. Second, the test is not based on an auxiliary regression obtained by replacing the model under the alternative by approximations based on a Taylor expansion. We also apply Monte Carlo testing methods for size-correcting the test proposed by Luukkonen Saikkonen and Teräsvirta (1988). Simulated annealing is used in computing values of the test statistics. The results show that the power loss implied by the auxiliary regression based test is nonexistent compared to a supremum-based test but is more substantial when compared to the other three tests under consideration.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||17 Aug 2005|
|Publication status:||Published in Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 2006, pages 797-812.|
|Note:||This is the working paper version referred to in the published paper (Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics 68, 797-812).|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Thomas Bernard & Jean-Marie Dufour & Ian Genest & Lynda Khalaf, 2001.
"Simulation-Based Finite-Sample Tests for Heteroskedasticity and ARCH Effects,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Khalaf, Lynda & Bernard, Jean-Thomas & Genest, Ian, 2004. "Simulation-based finite-sample tests for heteroskedasticity and ARCH effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 317-347, October.
- Dufour, J.M. & Khalaf, L. & Bernard, J.T. & Genest, I., 2001. "Simulation-Based Finite-Sample Tests for Heteroskedasticity and ARCH Effects," Cahiers de recherche 2001-08, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie & KHALAF, Lynda & BERNARD, Jean-Thomas, 2001. "Simulation-Based Finite-Sample Tests for Heteroskedasticity and ARCH Effects," Cahiers de recherche 2001-08, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Goffe, William L. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Rogers, John, 1994. "Global optimization of statistical functions with simulated annealing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 65-99.
- González, Andrés & Teräsvirta, Timo & van Dijk, Dick, 2005.
"Panel Smooth Transition Regression Models,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
604, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Khalaf, Lynda & Saphores, Jean-Daniel & Bilodeau, Jean-Francois, 2003. "Simulation-based exact jump tests in models with conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 531-553, December.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1998.
"Testing for Structural Change in Conditional Models,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
310., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2000. "Testing for structural change in conditional models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 93-115, July.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996.
"Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-430, March.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "TAR: RATS procedure to estimate a threshold autoregression, tests for threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00209, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991. "Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis," RCER Working Papers 296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's threshold estimation and testing results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00091, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Kiviet, Jan F., 1996. "Exact tests for structural change in first-order dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 39-68, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:hastef:0603. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.