Does openness reduce wage inequality in developing countries? A panel data analysis
This paper provides panel data evidence on trade liberalization and wage inequality in Bangladesh. Using several standard econometric models, wage equations for skilled and unskilled workers in the formal manufacturing sector are estimated for the 1975-2002 period. The results, particularly the estimates from a dynamic fixed effects model, provide some weak evidence that openness contributes to a reduction in wage inequality between skilled and unskilled workers. The results also indicate that real wages of both unskilled and skilled workers increased during the period.
|Date of creation:||14 Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:||06 Feb 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg, Box 640, SE 405 30 GÖTEBORG, Sweden|
Phone: 031-773 10 00
Web page: http://www.handels.gu.se/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jörg Breitung & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2005.
"Unit Roots and Cointegration in Panels,"
IEPR Working Papers
05.32, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Joerg Breitung & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2005. "Unit Roots and Cointegration in Panels," CESifo Working Paper Series 1565, CESifo Group Munich.
- Breitung, Jörg & Pesaran, Mohammad Hashem, 2005. "Unit roots and cointegration in panels," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2005,42, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Breitung, J. & Pesaran, M.H., 2005. "Unit Roots and Cointegration in Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0535, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pavcnik, Nina, 2003.
"What explains skill upgrading in less developed countries?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 311-328, August.
- Nina Pavcnik, 2000. "What Explains Skill Upgrading in Less Developed Countries?," NBER Working Papers 7846, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Hanson, Gordon H., 1997.
"Foreign direct investment and relative wages: Evidence from Mexico's maquiladoras,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 371-393, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment and Relative Wages: Evidence from Mexico's Maquiladoras," NBER Working Papers 5122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Durevall, Dick & Munshi, Farzana, 2006. "Trade Liberalization and Wage Inequality: Empirical Evidence from Bangladesh," Working Papers in Economics 205, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Hanson, G.H., 1995.
"Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages,"
Department of Economics
95-14, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages," NBER Working Papers 5121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Hanson, G.H., 1995. "Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages," Papers 95-14, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Beyer, Harald & Rojas, Patricio & Vergara, Rodrigo, 1999. "Trade liberalization and wage inequality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 103-123, June.
- Revenga, Ana, 1995. "Employment and wage effects of trade liberalization : the case of Mexican manufacturing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1524, The World Bank.
- Galiani, Sebastian & Sanguinetti, Pablo, 2003.
"The impact of trade liberalization on wage inequality: evidence from Argentina,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 497-513, December.
- Sebastian Galiani & Pablo Sanguinetti, 2003. "The Impact of Trade Liberalization on Wage Inequality: Evidence from Argentina," Working Papers 65, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Oct 2003.
- Pabo Sanguinetti & Sebastian Galiani, 2003. "The impact of trade liberalizationon wage inequality:Evidence from Argentina," Department of Economics Working Papers 011, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Prachi Mishra & Utsav Kumar, 2005.
"Trade Liberalization and Wage Inequality; Evidence From India,"
IMF Working Papers
05/20, International Monetary Fund.
- Utsav Kumar & Prachi Mishra, 2008. "Trade Liberalization and Wage Inequality: Evidence from India," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(2), pages 291-311, 05.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2003.
"Patterns of Skill Premia,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 70(2), pages 199-230.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra & Rajapatirana, Sarath, 2000. "Liberalization and Industrial Transformation: Lessons from the Sri Lankan Experience," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(3), pages 543-72, April.
- Zadia M. Feliciano, 2001. "Workers and Trade Liberalization: The Impact of Trade Reforms in Mexico on Wages and Employment," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:gunwpe:0241. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Andersson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.