The Impact of Trade Liberalization on Wage Inequality: Evidence from Argentina
Wage inequality in Argentina greatly increased during the nineties. During this period, a rapid and deep process of trade liberalization was implemented. In this paper we study whether trade liberalization played any role in shaping the Argentine wage structure during the nineties. Specifically, we test whether those sectors where import penetration deepened are also the sectors where, ceteris paribus, a higher increase in wage inequality is observed. Even though we find some evidence that supports this hypothesis, as has been found for some developed economies, trade deepening can only explain a relatively small proportion of the observed rise in wage inequality.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2003|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2003|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Development Economics, Vol 72, 2003, pages 497-513|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.udesa.edu.ar
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Galiani, Sebastian & Hopenhayn, Hugo A., 2003.
"Duration and risk of unemployment in Argentina,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 199-212, June.
- Sebasti=E1n Galiani & Hugo A. Hopenhayn, 2001. "Duration and Risk of Unemployment in Argentina," Labor and Demography 0012002, EconWPA.
- Sebastian Galiani & Hugo A. Hopenhayn, 2001. "Duration and Risk of Unemployment in Argentina," Working Papers 40, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Dec 2001.
- Sebastian Galiani & Hugo A. Hopenhayn, 2001. "Duration and Risk of Unemployment in Argentina," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 476, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Sebasti�n Galiani and Hugo A. Hopenhayn., 2000. "Duration and Risk of Unemployment in Argentina," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C00-117, University of California at Berkeley.
- Mary E. Lovely & J. David Richardson, 1998.
"Trade Flows and Wage Premiums: Does Who or What Matter?,"
NBER Working Papers
6668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mary E. Lovely & J. David Richardson, 2000. "Trade Flows and Wage Premiums: Does Who or What Matter?," NBER Chapters, in: The Impact of International Trade on Wages, pages 309-348 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bound, John & Johnson, George, 1992. "Changes in the Structure of Wages in the 1980's: An Evaluation of Alternative Explanations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 371-92, June.
- Stephen Machin, 1995.
"Changes in the Relative Demand for Skills in the UK Labour Market,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0221, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Machin, Steve, 1994. "Changes in the Relative Demand for Skills in the UK Labour Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 952, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wood Júnior, Thomaz, 1995. "Workers," RAE - Revista de Administração de Empresas, FGV-EAESP Escola de Administração de Empresas de São Paulo (Brazil), vol. 35(2), January.
- Robert C. Feenstra, .
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
Department of Economics
98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Machin, Stephen, 1996. "Wage Inequality in the UK," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 47-64, Spring.
- Moulton, Brent R., 1986. "Random group effects and the precision of regression estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 385-397, August.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1994. "Trade, Wages and Revolving Door Ideas," NBER Working Papers 4716, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adrian Wood, 1995. "How Trade Hurt Unskilled Workers," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 57-80, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sad:wpaper:65. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tamara Sulaque)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Tamara Sulaque to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.