Cream Skimming, Dregs Skimming, and Pooling: On the Dynamics of Competitive Screening
We discuss the existence of a pooling equilibrium in a two-period model of an insurance market with asymmetric information. We solve the model numerically. We pay particular attention to the reasons for non-existence in cases where no pooling equilibrium exists. In addition to the phenom- enon of cream skimming emphasized in earlier literature, we here point to the the importance of the opposite: dregs skimming, whereby high-risk consumers are proÞtably detracted from the candidate pooling contract.
|Date of creation:||20 Mar 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 38 15 25 75
Fax: 38 15 34 99
Web page: http://www.cbs.dk/departments/econ/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dionne, G. & Doherty, N., 1991.
"Adverse Selection, Commitment and Renegotiation : Extention to and Evidence From Insurance Markets,"
Cahiers de recherche
9134, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dionne, Georges & Doherty, Neil A, 1994. "Adverse Selection, Commitment, and Renegotiation: Extension to and Evidence from Insurance Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(2), pages 209-35, April.
- Dionne, G. & Doherty, N., 1991. "Adverse Selection, Commitment and Renegotiation : Extention to and Evidence From Insurance Markets," Cahiers de recherche 9134, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Dionne, G. & Doherty, N.A., 1993. "Adverse Selection, Commitment and Renegotiation: Extension to and Evidence from Insurance Markets," Papers 9301, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Parigi, Bruno M., 1994. "Self selection in a dynamic credit model," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 571-590, October.
- Szpiro, George G, 1986. "Measuring Risk Aversion: An Alternative Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(1), pages 156-59, February.
- Asheim, Geir B. & Nilssen, Tore, 1996.
"Non-discriminating renegotiation in a competitive insurance market,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1717-1736, December.
- Asheim, G.B. & Nilssen, T., 1995. "Non-Discriminating Renogociation in a Competitive Insurance Market," Memorandum 03/1995, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Asheim, G.B. & Nilssen, T., 1994. "Non-Discriminating Renegotiation in a Competitive Insurance Market," Papers 25, Laval - Laboratoire Econometrie.
- Nilssen, Tore, 2000. "Consumer lock-in with asymmetric information," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 641-666, May.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1976. "Equilibrium in Competitive Insurance Markets: An Essay on the Economics of Imperfect Information," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 630-49, November.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopoly, Non-linear Pricing and Imperfect Information: The Insurance Market," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 407-30, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:cbsnow:2003_001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lars Nondal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.