Mega-Sporting Events as Experience Goods
This paper tests the hypothesis that a nation’s hosting of a mega-sporting event is an experience good for its residents. Applying data from an ex-ante and ex-post query based on contingent valuation methods, we use the Soccer World Cup 2006 as a natural experiment. The significant ex-post increase in valuation is shown to be due to adventitious citizens requiring an involving experience, rather than to an updating of a-prior assessment.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Publication status:||Published in Hamburg Contemporary Economic Discussions, Issue 05, 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Von-Melle-Park 5 D-20146 Hamburg|
Fax: 49 (0)40 / 4123-6322
Web page: https://www.wiso.uni-hamburg.de/fachbereich-vwl/professuren/maennig.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Szymanski, 2002. "The Economic Impact of the World Cup," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 3(1), pages 169-177, January.
- Arne Feddersen & Wolfgang Maennig, 2005. "Trends in Competitive Balance: Is there Evidence for Growing Imbalance in Professional Sport Leagues?," Working Papers 0012005, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 1999. "The growth effects of sport franchises, stadia, and arenas," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(4), pages 601-624.
- BK. Johnson & JC. Whitehead, 2000. "Value of public goods from sports stadiums: the CVM approach," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(1), pages 48-58, 01.
- Wolfgang Maennig & Florian Schwarthoff, 2006.
"Stadium Architecture and regional economic development: International experience and the plans of Durban,"
200604, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Wolfgang Maennig & Florian Schwarthoff, 2008. "Stadium Architecture and Regional Economic Development: International Experience and the Plans of Durban," Working Papers 0816, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Arne Feddersen, 2006. "Economic Consequences of the UEFA Champions League for National Championships - The Case of Germany," Working Papers 0012006, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Nelson, Phillip, 1970. "Information and Consumer Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 311-329, March-Apr.
- Bruce K. Johnson & Peter A. Groothuis & John C. Whitehead, 2000. "“The Value of Public Goods Generated by a Major League Sports Team: The CVM Approach,”," Working Papers 0014, East Carolina University, Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)