Coping with the Recent Financial Crisis, did Inflation Targeting Make Any Difference?
The effects of the 2008/2009 financial crisis went largely among the financial markets and hit the real economy, generating one of the greatest global economic shocks. The aim of this study is to investigate whether inflation targeting has made a difference during this crisis. We first present some arguments suggesting that inflation targeters can be expected to do better when facing a global shock. Applying difference in difference in the spirit of Ball and Sheridan (2005), we assess the difference between targeters and non-targeters and find that there is no significant difference concerning inflation rate and GDP growth. However, the rise in interest rates and inflation volatility during the crisis has been significantly less pronounced for targeters.
|Date of creation:||22 May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00826277|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shu Lin, 2010. "On the International Effects of Inflation Targeting," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 92(1), pages 195-199, February.
- René TAPSOBA, 2010.
"Does Inflation Targeting Improve Fiscal Discipline? An Empirical Investigation,"
- Rene Tapsoba, 2011. "Does Inflation Targeting Improve Fiscal Discipline? An Empirical Investigation," Working Papers halshs-00553329, HAL.
- Johnson, David R., 2002. "The effect of inflation targeting on the behavior of expected inflation: evidence from an 11 country panel," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(8), pages 1521-1538, November.
- Frappa, Sébastien & Mésonnier, Jean-Stéphane, 2010. "The housing price boom of the late 1990s: Did inflation targeting matter?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 243-254, December.
- Irineu E. Carvalho Filho, 2010.
"Inflation Targeting and the Crisis: An Empirical Assessment,"
IMF Working Papers
10/45, International Monetary Fund.
- de Carvalho Filho, Irineu, 2010. "Inflation Targeting and the Crisis: An Empirical Assessment," MPRA Paper 19960, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lin, Shu & Ye, Haichun, 2009. "Does inflation targeting make a difference in developing countries?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 118-123, May.
- Michael Dooley, 2010. "Central bank responses to financial crises," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Perspectives on inflation targeting, financial stability and the global crisis, volume 51, pages 31-34 Bank for International Settlements.
- Guillermo Calvo, 2010. "Inflation targeting in hard times," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Perspectives on inflation targeting, financial stability and the global crisis, volume 51, pages 15-18 Bank for International Settlements.
- Lucotte, Yannick, 2012. "Adoption of inflation targeting and tax revenue performance in emerging market economies: An empirical investigation," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 609-628.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00826277. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.