How Can Insurance Companies Compete With MutualInsurers? The Role of Commitment
The aim of this paper is to analyze the impact of the existence of mutual firms on the behavior of insurance companies and more precisely to study in which situations an insurance company can enter a market controlled by mutual arrangements. Our approach differs from the existing literature as we integrate the investment choices of the insurance company and the fact that, because it commits on a fix contract, it can become insolvent. In such a situation we are able tocharacterize the unique optimal choices of the monopolistic company and the conditions favoringits appearance.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00410765|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansmann, Henry, 1985. "The Organization of Insurance Companies: Mutual versus Stock," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 125-153, Spring.
- Lena Nekby, 2004. "Pure Versus Mutual Health Insurance: Evidence From Swedish Historical Data," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 71(1), pages 115-134.
- Ray Rees & Hugh Gravelle & Achim Wambach, 1999. "Regulation of Insurance Markets," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics (The Geneva Association), vol. 24(1), pages 55-68, June.
- Lamm-Tennant, Joan & Starks, Laura T, 1993. "Stock versus Mutual Ownership Structures: The Risk Implications," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66(1), pages 29-46, January.
- Doherty, Neil A & Dionne, Georges, 1993. "Insurance with Undiversifiable Risk: Contract Structure and Organizational Form of Insurance Firms," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 187-203, April.
- Laux, Christian & Muermann, Alexander, 2006. "Mutual versus stock insurers: Fair premium, capital, and solvency," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/26, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Garance Genicot & Debraj Ray, 2003. "Group Formation in Risk-Sharing Arrangements," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(1), pages 87-113.
- Raj Chetty, 2006. "A Bound on Risk Aversion Using Labor Supply Elasticities," NBER Working Papers 12067, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, Bruce D & Stutzer, Michael J, 1990. "Adverse Selection, Aggregate Uncertainty, and the Role for Mutual Insurance Contracts," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(4), pages 493-510, October.
- David Mayers & Clifford Smith, 2002. "Ownership Structure and Control: Property-Casualty Insurer Conversion to Stock Charter," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 21(1), pages 117-144, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00410765. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.