On the Emergence of Private Insurance in Presence of Mutual Agreements
The aim of this paper is to analyze the impact of the existence of mutual firms on the behavior of an insurance company and more precisely to study in which situations a private insurance firm may emerge in presence of an incumbent mutual firm. Our approach differs from the existing literature as we integrate the investment choices of the company and the fact that, because it commits on a fix contract, it can become insolvent. In such a situation we are able to characterize the unique optimal choices of an entrant company and the conditions favoring or preventing its appearance.
|Date of creation:||29 Jun 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Doherty, Neil A & Dionne, Georges, 1993. " Insurance with Undiversifiable Risk: Contract Structure and Organizational Form of Insurance Firms," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 187-203, April.
- Ray Rees & Hugh Gravelle & Achim Wambach, 1999. "Regulation of Insurance Markets," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(1), pages 55-68, June.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1976. "Equilibrium in Competitive Insurance Markets: An Essay on the Economics of Imperfect Information," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 630-49, November.
- Smith, Bruce D & Stutzer, Michael J, 1990. "Adverse Selection, Aggregate Uncertainty, and the Role for Mutual Insurance Contracts," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(4), pages 493-510, October.
- Laux, Christian & Muermann, Alexander, 2006. "Mutual versus stock insurers: Fair premium, capital, and solvency," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/26, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Hansmann, Henry, 1985. "The Organization of Insurance Companies: Mutual versus Stock," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 125-53, Spring.
- Raj Chetty, 2006. "A Bound on Risk Aversion Using Labor Supply Elasticities," NBER Working Papers 12067, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Mayers & Clifford Smith, 2002. "Ownership Structure and Control: Property-Casualty Insurer Conversion to Stock Charter," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 117-144, February.
- Garance Genicot & Debraj Ray, 2003.
"Group Formation in Risk-Sharing Arrangements,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 70(1), pages 87-113.
- Lena Nekby, 2004. "Pure Versus Mutual Health Insurance: Evidence From Swedish Historical Data," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 71(1), pages 115-134.
- Lamm-Tennant, Joan & Starks, Laura T, 1993. "Stock versus Mutual Ownership Structures: The Risk Implications," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66(1), pages 29-46, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:5821. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.