An Alternative Model to Basel Regulation
The post-crisis financial reforms address the need for systemic regulation, focused not only on individual banks but also on the whole financial system. The regulator principal objective is to set banks' capital requirements equal to international minimum standards in order to mimimise systemic risk. Indeed, Basel agreement is designed to guide a judgement about minimum universal levels of capital and remains mainly microprudential in its focus rather than being macroprudential. An alternative model to Basel framework is derived where systemic risk is taken into account in each bank's dynamic. This might be a new departure for prudential policy. It allows for the regulator to compute capital and risk requirements for controlling systemic risk. Moreover, bank regulation is considered in a two-scale level, either at the bank level or at the system-wide level. We test the adequacy of the model on a data set containing 19 banks of 5 major countries from 2005 to 2012. We compute the capital ratio threshold per year for each bank and each country and we rank them according to their level of fragility. Our results suggest to consider an alternative measure of systemic risk that requires minimal capital ratios that are bank-specific and time-varying.
|Date of creation:||19 Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00825018|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bertrand, Marianne & Schoar, Antoinette S & Thesmar, David, 2004.
"Banking Deregulation and Industry Structure: Evidence from the French Banking Reforms of 1985,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4488, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marianne Bertrand & Antoinette Schoar & David Thesmar, 2007. "Banking Deregulation and Industry Structure: Evidence from the French Banking Reforms of 1985," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(2), pages 597-628, 04.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973, April.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. "This Time It’s Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly-Chapter 1," MPRA Paper 17452, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lucy White & Alan D. Morrison, 2002.
"Crises and Capital Requirements in Banking,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2002fe05, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Philipp Hartmann & Stefan Straetmans & Casper de Vries, 2007.
"Banking System Stability. A Cross-Atlantic Perspective,"
in: The Risks of Financial Institutions, pages 133-192
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan & de Vries, Casper, 2005. "Banking system stability: a cross-Atlantic perspective," Working Paper Series 0527, European Central Bank.
- Philipp Hartmann & Stefan Straetmans & Casper G. De Vries, 2005. "Banking System Stability: A Cross-Atlantic Perspective," NBER Working Papers 11698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Philippon & Philipp Schnabl, 2013.
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 68(1), pages 1-42, 02.
- Marcheggiano, Gilberto & Miles, David K & Yang, Jing, 2011.
"Optimal Bank Capital,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8333, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nikola Tarashev & Claudio Borio & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2009. "The systemic importance of financial institutions," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- Murillo Campello & John Graham & Campbell R. Harvey, 2009.
"The Real Effects of Financial Constraints: Evidence from a Financial Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
15552, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campello, Murillo & Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2010. "The real effects of financial constraints: Evidence from a financial crisis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 470-487, September.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. "This Time It’s Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly-Preface," MPRA Paper 17451, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- V. Cerasi & S. Daltung, 1995.
"The Optimal Size of a Bank: Costs and Benefits of Diversification,"
Departmental Working Papers
1995-05, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Cerasi, Vittoria & Daltung, Sonja, 2000. "The optimal size of a bank: Costs and benefits of diversification," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(9), pages 1701-1726, October.
- Kabanov, Yuri & Lépinette, Emmanuel, 2013.
"Essential supremum with respect to a random partial order,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 478-487.
- Kabanov, Yuri & Lépinette-Denis, Emmanuel, 2013. "Essential Supremum with Respect to a Random Partial Order," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/9699, Paris Dauphine University.
- Helmut Elsinger & Alfred Lehar & Martin Summer, 2002.
"Risk Assessment for Banking Systems,"
79, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2012.
"Illiquid Banks, Financial Stability, and Interest Rate Policy,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 120(3), pages 552 - 591.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram Rajan, 2011. "Illiquid Banks, Financial Stability, and Interest Rate Policy," NBER Working Papers 16994, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan D. Morrison & Lucy White, 2005. "Crises and Capital Requirements in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1548-1572, December.
- Brei, Michael & Gambacorta, Leonardo & von Peter, Goetz, 2013.
"Rescue packages and bank lending,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 490-505.
- Acharya, Viral V., 2009.
"A theory of systemic risk and design of prudential bank regulation,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 224-255, September.
- Acharya, Viral V, 2009. "A Theory of Systemic Risk and Design of Prudential Bank Regulation," CEPR Discussion Papers 7164, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patrick Slovik & Boris Cournède, 2011. "Macroeconomic Impact of Basel III," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 844, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00825018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.