An Alternative Model to Basel Regulation
The post-crisis financial reforms address the need for systemic regulation, focused not only on individual banks but also on the whole financial system. The regulator principal objective is to set banks' capital requirements equal to international minimum standards in order to mimimise systemic risk. Indeed, Basel agreement is designed to guide a judgement about minimum universal levels of capital and remains mainly microprudential in its focus rather than being macroprudential. An alternative model to Basel framework is derived where systemic risk is taken into account in each bank's dynamic. This might be a new departure for prudential policy. It allows for the regulator to compute capital and risk requirements for controlling systemic risk. Moreover, bank regulation is considered in a two-scale level, either at the bank level or at the system-wide level. We test the adequacy of the model on a data set containing 19 banks of 5 major countries from 2005 to 2012. We compute the capital ratio threshold per year for each bank and each country and we rank them according to their level of fragility. Our results suggest to consider an alternative measure of systemic risk that requires minimal capital ratios that are bank-specific and time-varying.
|Date of creation:||19 Jul 2013|
|Publication status:||Published in 2013|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00825018|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Miles & Jing Yang & Gilberto Marcheggiano, 2013.
"Optimal Bank Capital,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 123(567), pages 1-37, 03.
- Marcheggiano, Gilberto & Miles, David K & Yang, Jing, 2011. "Optimal Bank Capital," CEPR Discussion Papers 8333, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Miles, David & Yang, Jing & Marcheggiano, Gilberto, 2011. "Optimal Bank Capital," Discussion Papers 31, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
- Kabanov, Yuri & Lépinette, Emmanuel, 2013. "Essential supremum with respect to a random partial order," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 478-487.
- Marianne Bertrand & Antoinette Schoar & David Thesmar, 2007. "Banking Deregulation and Industry Structure: Evidence from the French Banking Reforms of 1985," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(2), pages 597-628, 04.
- Bertrand, Marianne & Schoar, Antoinette S & Thesmar, David, 2004. "Banking Deregulation and Industry Structure: Evidence from the French Banking Reforms of 1985," CEPR Discussion Papers 4488, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Thesmar & A. Schoar & Marianne Bertrand, 2007. "Banking Deregulation and Industry Structure: Evidence from the French Banking Reforms of 1985," Post-Print hal-00461082, HAL.
- Lucy White & Alan D. Morrison, 2002. "Crises and Capital Requirements in Banking," OFRC Working Papers Series 2002fe05, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Morrison, Alan & White, Lucy, 2004. "Crises and Capital Requirements in Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 4364, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Helmut Elsinger & Alfred Lehar & Martin Summer, 2006. "Risk Assessment for Banking Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(9), pages 1301-1314, September.
- Helmut Elsinger & Alfred Lehar & Martin Summer, 2002. "Risk Assessment for Banking Systems," Working Papers 79, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Alan D. Morrison & Lucy White, 2005. "Crises and Capital Requirements in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1548-1572, December.
- Brei, Michael & Gambacorta, Leonardo & von Peter, Goetz, 2013. "Rescue packages and bank lending," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 490-505.
- Michael Brei & Leonardo Gambacorta & Goetz von Peter, 2011. "Rescue packages and bank lending," BIS Working Papers 357, Bank for International Settlements.
- Michael Brei & Leonardo Gambacorta & Goetz Von Peter, 2013. "Rescue packages and bank lending," Post-Print hal-01410576, HAL.
- Nikola Tarashev & Claudio Borio & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2009. "The systemic importance of financial institutions," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- Patrick Slovik & Boris Cournède, 2011. "Macroeconomic Impact of Basel III," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 844, OECD Publishing. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00825018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.