Acceptability factors to transport policy changes
The authors have set out an analytical framework of the acceptability of pricing changes in the transport sector. This framework combines the dimensions of economic efficiency (to manage the demand efficiently), territorial equity (guarantee of accessibility), horizontal equity (user-pays principle), and vertical equity (welfare of most underprivileged). The application of this framework was validated on some urban or suburban road toll case studies. The analysis showed that these dimensions of efficiency and equity generally reinforce themselves in their negative or positive aspects. This analysis also showed that these various dimensions of equity cannot be ignored on pain of failure. Moreover the ways according to which the acceptability of urban road user charging could be improved, if not guaranteed, were identified.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Publication status:||Published in European Transport Conference. ETC. Proceedings of seminar C – Discovering local transport plans and road traffic reduction, 11-13 september 2000, Homerton College, Cambridge, UK, 2000, Cambridge, United Kingdom. PTRC Education and Research Services, P438, pp. 167-178, 2000|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00177186|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Small, Kenneth A. & Gomez-Ibanez, Jose A., 1999.
Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,
in: P. C. Cheshire & E. S. Mills (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 1937-1999
- Small, K.A. & Gomez-Ibanez, J.A., 1996. "Urban Transportation," Papers 95-96-4, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988. "The Theory of Environmental Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521322249, January.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988. "The Theory of Environmental Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521311120, January.
- Small, Kenneth A., 1992. "Using the Revenues from Congestion Pricing," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt32p9m3mm, University of California Transportation Center.
- Small, Kenneth A., 2001. "Using the Revenues from Congestion Pricing," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt7170x9b0, University of California Transportation Center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00177186. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.