Quality of employment regimes and diversity of emerging countries
Emerging countries and their leaders, the BRICS, can be revisited with an institutionalist approach enabling a better recognition of their diversity. Focusing on the composition of their labour nexus, this paper offers to question the category formed by these countries by studying their variety of quality of employment regimes. Two interesting results came out from this study using a Principal Components Analysis (PCA) and a Mixed Clustering (MC) break two institutional dimensions into fourteen indicators. (1) Four specific quality of employment regimes appear, illustrating their heterogeneity and the weakness of this category. (2) The BRICS appear notably scattered over some socio-economic aspects of each leader. Far from composing a coherent and independent regime, BRICS countries dispersion can be explained by a specific combination of socio-economic and institutional factors to each one of them.
|Date of creation:||2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)220.127.116.11.75
Fax: +33 (0)18.104.22.168.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maarten Goos & Alan Manning & Anna Salomons, 2009. "Job Polarization in Europe," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(2), pages 58-63, May.
- Francis Green & Tarek Mostafa & AgnÃ¨s Parent-Thirion & Greet Vermeylen & Gijs van Houten & Isabella Biletta & Maija Lyly-Yrjanainen, 2013. "Is Job Quality Becoming More Unequal?," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 66(4), pages 753-784, July.
- Anamitra ROYCHOWDHURY, 2014. "The labour market flexibility debate in India: Re-examining the case for signing voluntary contracts," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 153(3), pages 473-487, 09.
- Eric Rougier & Dalila Nicet-Chenaf & Alain Piveteau, 2011.
"Émergences capitalistes au Sud,"
- Alain Piveteau & E. Rougier & D. Nicet-Chenaf, 2013. "Emergences capitalistes aux Suds," Post-Print halshs-01425589, HAL.
- Eric Rougier & Dalila Nicet-Chenaf & Alain Piveteau, 2011. "Émergences capitalistes au Sud," Post-Print hal-00649167, HAL.
- Dharam GHAI, 2003. "Decent work: Concept and indicators," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 142(2), pages 113-145, 06.
- N/A, 2013. "Introduction to the Special Issue on Job Quality: What Does it Mean and How Might We Think about It?," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 66(4), pages 739-752, July.
- Miriam Di Paola & Nicolas Pons-Vignon, 2013. "Labour market restructuring in South Africa: low wages, high insecurity," Review of African Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(138), pages 628-638, December.
- Brendan Burchell & Kirsten Sehnbruch & Agnieszka Piasna & Nurjk Agloni, 2014. "The quality of employment and decent work: definitions, methodologies, and ongoing debates," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(2), pages 459-477.
- James M. Cypher, 2013. "Neodevelopmentalism vs. Neoliberalism: Differential Evolutionary Institutional Structures and Policy Response in Brazil and Mexico," Journal of Economic Issues, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(2), pages 391-400, June.
- Sergio Tezanos Vázquez & Andy Sumner, 2013. "Revisiting the Meaning of Development: A Multidimensional Taxonomy of Developing Countries," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(12), pages 1728-1745, December.
- Iftikhar AHMED, 2003. "Decent work and human development," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 142(2), pages 263-271, 06.
- Jair Do Amaral Filho & Maria-Cristina Pereira & Yves-André Fauré, 2013. "Une région périphérique dans un pays émergent : le Nordeste brésilien," Post-Print hal-01136500, HAL.
- Eric Berr & François Combarnous, 2007. "The false promises of the (second) Washington consensus : Evidence from Latin America and the Caribbean (1990-2003)," Post-Print hal-00152816, HAL.
- Mathilde Guergoat-Larivière & Olivier Marchand, 2012. "Définition et mesure de la qualité de l’emploi : une illustration au prisme des comparaisons européennes," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 454(1), pages 23-42. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2016-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.