Amartya Sen’s socio-economic analysis of famines: scope, limitations and extensions (In French)
The entitlements approach developed by Amartya Sen at the end of the seventies and at the beginning of the eighties provides a microeconomic framework explaining famines in terms of food entitlements decline. This article presents an overview of the discussions and controversies dealing with Sen’s entitlements approach and exposes some issues of improvement.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)184.108.40.206.75
Fax: +33 (0)220.127.116.11.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gasper, D.R., 1993. "Entitlements analysis : relating concepts and contexts," ISS Working Papers - General Series 18849, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Devereux, Stephen, 1988. "Entitlements, availability and famine : A revisionist view of Wollo, 1972-1974," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 270-282, August.
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 2007.
"Making Famine History,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 45(1), pages 5-38, March.
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 2006. "Making famine history," Working Papers 200610, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 2007. "Making famine history," Open Access publications 10197/492, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Lin, Justin Yifu & Yang, Dennis Tao, 2000. "Food Availability, Entitlements and the Chinese Famine of 1959-61," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 136-158, January.
- Justin Yifu Lin & Yang, Dennis, 1995. "Food Availability, Entitlement and the Chinese Famine of 1959-61," Working Papers 95-24, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Ellman, Michael, 2000. "The 1947 Soviet Famine and the Entitlement Approach to Famines," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(5), pages 603-630, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2009-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.