Poverty and shortage economy: a reappraisal with the capability approach (In French)
The objective of this article is to propose a reappraisal of the phenomenon of poverty in Soviet Union by integrating the problems of shortage. With this intention, we refer to the capability approach developed by Amartya Sen in so far as it proposes a broader framework to evaluate wellbeing and poverty. The idea developed is that freedom of choice is an essential dimension of wellbeing, and that this is strongly constrained within the context of a shortage economy.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 (0)188.8.131.52.75
Fax: +33 (0)184.108.40.206.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grootaert, Christiaan & Braithwaite, Jeanine, 1998. "Poverty correlates and indicator-based targeting in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1942, The World Bank.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521433297 is not listed on IDEAS
- Buckley, Robert M & Gurenko, Eugene N, 1997. "Housing and Income Distribution in Russia: Zhivago's Legacy," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 12(1), pages 19-32, February.
- Bergson, Abram, 1984. "Income Inequality under Soviet Socialism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 1052-99, September.
- Morrisson, Christian, 1984. "Income distribution in East European and Western countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 121-138, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521438827 is not listed on IDEAS
- Qian, Yingyi, 1994. "A Theory of Shortage in Socialist Economies Based on the "Soft Budget Constraint."," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 145-56, March.
- Sándor Sipos, 1992. "Poverty Measurement in Central and Eastern Europe before the Transition to the Market Economy," Innocenti Occasional Papers, Economic Policy Series iopeps92/28, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
- Kornai, J, 1979. "Resource-Constrained versus Demand-Constrained Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 801-19, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2007-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.