Urban Sprawl and Spatial Segregation. A review (In French)
This article explores the theoretical linkages between urban sprawl and social segregation. We first present the way segregation can increase urban sprawl : according to the « flight from blight hypothesis », mechanisms of segregation may form socially homogenous areas which tend to move away from each other. Second, we show that the influence of sprawl on segregation is ambivalent. On one’s hand, it diminishes the pressure on rent ; thus the exclusion process is softened. On the other hand, it gives more achievability to bring together people who want to. This last process is reinforced by exclusionary zoning practices. A review of some empirical studies on the link between residential density and social segregation show that the direction of such a relation is unspecified. We finally argue for an analysis of the urban sprawl-social segregation linkages as from the study of residential relocations.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://gres.u-bordeaux4.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pasha, Hafiz A., 1996. "Suburban Minimum Lot Zoning and Spatial Equilibrium," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-12, July.
- Frédéric GASCHET (IERSO, IFReDE-GRES) & Julie LE GALLO (IERSO, IFReDE-GRES), 2005.
"The Spatial Dimension of Segregation: A Case Study in Four French Urban Areas, 1990-1999,"
Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009)
2005-12, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Frédéric Gaschet & Julie Le Gallo, 2005. "The Spatial Dimension Of Segregation - A Case Study In Four French Urban Areas, 1990-1999 ," ERSA conference papers ersa05p704, European Regional Science Association.
- Mills, Edwin S. & Price, Richard, 1984. "Metropolitan suburbanization and central city problems," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Rose-Ackerman, Susan, 1975. "Racism and urban structure," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 85-103, January.
- Guillaume Pouyanne, 2005. "L'interaction entre usage du sol et comportements de mobilité. Méthodologie et application a l'aire urbaine de Bordeaux," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Armand Colin, vol. 0(5), pages 723-746.
- Eloi Laurent & Joël Maurice & Jean-Paul Fitoussi, 2004.
"Ségrégation urbaine et intégration sociale,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/3542, Sciences Po.
- Edwin S. Mills & Luan Sende Lubuele, 1997. "Inner Cities," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 727-756, June.
- Jean Cavailhès & Harris Selod, 2003. "Ségrégation sociale et périurbanisation," INRA Sciences Sociales, INRA Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grs:wpegrs:2006-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Frigant)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.