Adaptive continuous time Markov chain approximation model to general jump-diffusions
We propose a non-equidistant Q rate matrix formula and an adaptive numerical algorithm for a continuous time Markov chain to approximate jump-diffusions with affine or non-affine functional specifications. Our approach also accommodates state-dependent jump intensity and jump distribution, a flexibility that is very hard to achieve with other numerical methods. The Kolmogorov-Smirnov test shows that the proposed Markov chain transition density converges to the one given by the likelihood expansion formula as in Ait-Sahalia (2008). We provide numerical examples for European stock option pricing in Black and Scholes (1973), Merton (1976) and Kou (2002).
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Adam Smith Building, Glasgow G12 8RT|
Phone: 0141 330 4618
Fax: 0141 330 4940
Web page: http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/business/research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kalogeropoulos, Konstantinos & Roberts, Gareth O. & Dellaportas, Petros, 2007.
"Inference for stochastic volatility model using time change transformations,"
5697, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Konstantinos Kalogeropoulos & Gareth O. Roberts & Petros Dellaportas, 2010. "Inference for stochastic volatility models using time change transformations," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 31421, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Konstantinos Kalogeropoulos & Gareth O. Roberts & Petros Dellaportas, 2007. "Inference for stochastic volatility models using time change transformations," Papers 0711.1594, arXiv.org.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Jun Yu, 2009. "Simulation-Based Estimation of Contingent-Claims Prices," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(9), pages 3669-3705, September.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Jun Yu, 2007. "Simulation-based Estimation of Contingent-claims Prices," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1596, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Jun Yu, 2008. "Simulation-based Estimation of Contingent-claims Prices," Finance Working Papers 22473, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hideyuki Takamizawa, 2008. "Is Nonlinear Drift Implied by the Short End of the Term Structure?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(1), pages 311-346, January.
- Takamizawa, Hideyuki, 2006. "Is Nonlinear Drift Implied by the Short-End of the Term Structure?," Discussion Papers 2006-08, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Working papers 787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- John C. Cox & Jonathan E. Ingersoll Jr. & Stephen A. Ross, 2005. "A Theory Of The Term Structure Of Interest Rates," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 5, pages 129-164 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The valuation of options for alternative stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 145-166.
- Bakshi, Gurdip & Ju, Nengjiu & Ou-Yang, Hui, 2006. "Estimation of continuous-time models with an application to equity volatility dynamics," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 227-249, October.
- Osnat Stramer & Matthew Bognar & Paul Schneider, 2010. "Bayesian Inference for Discretely Sampled Markov Processes with Closed-Form Likelihood Expansions," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 8(4), pages 450-480, Fall. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gla:glaewp:2011_16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jeanette Findlay)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.