Impact of IFPRI's policy research on resource allocation and food security in Bangladesh
The Bangladesh Food Policy Project (BFPP), implemented during 1988-94 by IFPRI in collaboration with the Bangladesh Ministry of Food, was effective in providing research-based information to enable several policy changes in the Bangladeshi food sector. This paper is an attempt to assess the impact of IFPRI's research in Bangladesh through the BFPP. It identifies major food policy reforms designed and implemented by the Government of Bangladesh, examines their linkages to the information generated by the food policy research, and estimates the benefits of the research to the Government of Bangladesh. Based on information gathered through interviews of more than 60 senior policymakers, donor representatives, collaborators, researchers, and training recipients, the paper draws lessons for future food policy research programs in Bangladesh and other developing countries. Among the more than 70 research outputs from IFPRI, two policy contributions stand out: the abolition of the Rural Rationing program and the implementation of the Food for Education program. A case study approach is used in this paper for documenting the costs and benefits of the impacts of these contributions.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1201 Eye Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005-3915|
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bonnen, James T. & Schweikhardt, David B., 1997. "Getting From Economic Analysis To Policy Advice," Staff Papers 11618, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Pitt, Mark M, 1983. "Food Preferences and Nutrition in Rural Bangladesh," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 105-114, February.
- Smith, Vincent H., 1998. "Measuring the benefits of social science research:," Impact assessments 2, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Norton, George W. & Alwang, Jeffrey, 1997.
"Policy for Plenty: Measuring the Benefits of Policy-oriented Social Science Research,"
232552, Virginia Tech, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Norton, George W. & Alwang, Jeffrey, 1998. "Policy for plenty: measuring the benefits of policy-oriented social science research," Impact assessments 6, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gardner, Bruce L., 1997. "Returns to Policy-Related Social Science Research in Agriculture," Working Papers 197845, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Gardner, Bruce L., 1999. "Returns to policy-related social science research in agriculture:," Impact assessments 9, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Islam, Yassir & Garrett, James L., 1997. "IFPRI and the abolition of the wheat flour ration shops in Pakistan: a case-study on policymaking and the use and impact of research," Impact assessments 1, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ryan, James G., 1999. "Assessing the impact of rice policy changes in Viet Nam and the contribution of policy research:," Impact assessments 8, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Richard Adams, 1998. "The political economy of the food subsidy system in Bangladesh," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 66-88.
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn & Basu, Swati, 1998. "Does Economic Analysis Improve the Quality of Foreign Assistance?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(3), pages 385-418, September.
- Ravallion, Martin & Sen, Binayak, 1996. "When Method Matters: Monitoring Poverty in Bangladesh," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(4), pages 761-792, July.
- Ahmed, Raisuddin & Hossain, Mahabub, 1990. "Developmental impact of rural infrastructure in Bangladesh:," Research reports 83, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hossain, Mahabub, 1988. "Nature and impact of the Green Revolution in Bangladesh:," Research reports 67, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ahmed, Raisuddin, 1981. "Agricultural price policies under complex socioeconomic and natural constraints: the case of Bangladesh," Research reports 27, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:impass:13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.