“Made in China”: Crisis begets quality upgrade
The quality of manufactured products made in China has improved tremendously in the past several decades. In this paper, we argue that crises are instruments for the upgrade of Chinese manufactured goods. We first develop a theoretical framework to show that a crisis, if used wisely, could present good opportunities for entrepreneurs and local governments to form collective action to improve product quality. Next, we empirically test the hypothesis using a panel data set from 1990 to 2008 covering more than 100 clusters in the Zhejiang Province of China.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Long, Cheryl & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2011.
"Cluster-based industrialization in China: Financing and performance,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 112-123, May.
- Long, Cheryl & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2009. "Cluster-based industrialization in China: Financing and performance," IFPRI discussion papers 937, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989.
"A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Working papers 527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1989.
"Quality Ladders in the Theory of Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1988. "Quality Change under Trade Restraints in Japanese Autos," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(1), pages 131-46, February.
- Jianqing Ruan & Xiaobo Zhang, 2009.
"Finance and Cluster-Based Industrial Development in China,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(1), pages 143-164, October.
- Ruan, Jianqing & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2008. "Finance and cluster-based industrial development in China:," IFPRI discussion papers 768, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Cozzi, Guido, 2007. "Self-fulfilling prophecies in the quality ladders economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 445-464, September.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Scholarly Articles 12490578, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Eric Maskin & Yingyi Qian & Chenggang Xu, 1997.
"Incentives, Information, and Organizational Form,"
97034, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Allan Drazen & Vittorio Grilli, 1990.
"The Benefits of Crises for Economic Reforms,"
NBER Working Papers
3527, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cheung Kui-yin & Lin, Ping, 2004. "Spillover effects of FDI on innovation in China: Evidence from the provincial data," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 25-44.
- Roberto Álvarez & Sebastián Claro, 2006. "The China Phenomenon: Price, Quality or Variety?," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 411, Central Bank of Chile.
- Khalid Nadvi, 1999. "The cutting Edge: Collective efficiency and international competitiveness in Pakistan," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(1), pages 81-107.
- Keijiro Otsuka, 2006. "Cluster-Based Industrial Development: A View From East Asia," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 57(3), pages 361-376.
- Shapiro, Carl, 1983. "Premiums for High Quality Products as Returns to Reputations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(4), pages 659-79, November.
- Xu, Bin, 2000. "Multinational enterprises, technology diffusion, and host country productivity growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 477-493, August.
- Berry, Steven & Waldfogel, Joel, 2005.
"Product Quality and Market Size,"
1, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Klein, Benjamin & Leffler, Keith B, 1981. "The Role of Market Forces in Assuring Contractual Performance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 615-41, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:ifprid:1025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.